• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New Website

Holoman

Troubadour
Looks good, one thing I would add though is a title, just Joseph Malik or something. When I view on a mobile and the menu goes to a drop down and you're just left with a white bar at the top.

Malik

Auror
Good catch. I'll dig around in the code, maybe add an icon or an autograph or something. Thanks.

Malik

Auror
Nice website. Book looks interesting. Is it going to be on Amazon, I did look but can't find it?

Thank you. It will be simultaneously released on Amazon. I can't schedule a pre-release on Amazon until the manuscript is finished; we're in the final edits right now.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Did I mention I love the tag line? Because I do. And the concept. Be sure to remind all of us Aged Scribes when the release comes.

Also, who did the website design? Sometimes I think we should have an Author Platform forum.

Malik

Auror
Thanks. The tagline just kind of happened when the MC was talking. It had such a natural flow to it, one of those things you don't write but just write down.

The concept has been done a thousand times. All I did was flip the script. After I wrote "guy goes to another world, discovers he's a lost prince who can do magic, and uses modern knowledge to win back his father's throne," I rewrote it from the POV of the guy brought to kill him ten years later when he turns out to be a prick.

I did my own web design. It's a paid template. I did some CSS tricks and child theme editing.

Last edited:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I had that happen. It's for SF setting. HER: Don't you want to save the world? HIM: Sure. I just don't want to save this one.

It just popped, fully-formed. I can't even use the dang thing because I don't write SF or multi-world fantasy. But it's a great line and anyone is welcome to it.

Never undersell your own originality. Srsly.

As for doing your own design, curse you Obi-Wan. I used to do that stuff easily but the rust builds up and the enthusiasm drains away. ... Nice work.

Malik

Auror
Updating this, because the book is up for pre-release on KU, available on Amazon in print, and will be released next Saturday, the 30th. So far it's been all five-star reviews and gushing emails from ARC readers who aren't done with it yet but wanted to drop me a line telling me how much they love it. Pre-order sales are excellent considering I'm a first-time author. Waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Link to the book is here.

The opinion I’m offering might not be the case with everyone, but I will state everything that I think is worth mentioning.
The homepage looks pretty neat and decent. However, the page josephmalik.com/blog requires header images to load, right? I think you should compromise the quality of the images in order to load the page faster, the images are high quality which takes it ample of more seconds than which a page should load.
Secondly I observed that the frequency at which you post articles is not in a rhythm, that might help you lose even the loyal followers, if you’re on a time crunch I would advise you to ask someone else you know or hire someone from a website such as contentmart.com to fill in for your time and articles, this will help your previous followers to stay and hence will get you more engagement. You can try asking help from people who are professionally doing this from sites like contentmart.com.
I also noticed that you did not add any disclaimer content, I think that is necessary just in case to avoid trouble. You should let your audience know that the content you’re sharing is solely yours and you hold all the rights and also the website or state whatever the case is. This can help someone get suspicious and might hesitate to be engaged to your website in order to serve loyalty to the author.