• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking for Critique Partner(s)

I'm not as active on these forums as I'd like to be so maybe this is presumptuous of me, but I'm looking for 1 or 2 critique partners.

I have two right now, but one has gotten swamped with her own life and can't give me as much feedback as I'd like, and I definitely need more than one opinion on things.

I'm not really looking for a writing group, though it could be that. I'm looking for something informal - when we have things that need critiquing, we email each other. We offer support and advice and bounce ideas off one another from the planning stages to the querying process. I can't commit to a certain "words per day" or even per week, but I do have a finished first novel (85K words, adult historical paranormal, the first in a trilogy) that could use a set of fresh eyes and a couple of short stories I'm working on. I'm in the process of querying agents for the novel, in the planning/first draft stages of the second novel in my trilogy, and one of my short stories is out for consideration to a paying market right now.

As for what I bring to the critiquing table I have several years' experience as the horror editor for an online magazine and have edited three novels for other crit partners already.

Who's game?

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I'm game. Before you accept, let me tell you about myself and my tastes:

I like dark, gritty fantasy. My favorite authors are Steven Erikson, R. Scott Bakker, Glen Cook and Joe Abercombie.

I critique a couple people on the forums. I'm told that I'm good with character motive, but not so good with spatial orientation. Depending on what you can tolerate, I'll give you all the feedback requested and any additional feedback I think is important for you to hear.

If this sounds good to you, PM me. I'll send you my email.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I'm game. Before you accept, let me tell you about myself and my tastes:

I like dark, gritty fantasy. My favorite authors are Steven Erikson, R. Scott Bakker, Glen Cook and Joe Abercombie.

I critique a couple people on the forums. I'm told that I'm good with character motive, but not so good with spatial orientation. Depending on what you can tolerate, I'll give you all the feedback requested and any additional feedback I think is important for you to hear.

If this sounds good to you, PM me. I'll send you my email.

I'll vouch for Ankari.

No matter how much I disagree with him on my first read through of his comments, I usually end up taking his advice in the end. My novel is much better at this point because of his input.

He does tend to favor strong action over nuanced relationships, though.

TheTdroid

Dreamer
I'm game for a mutually beneficial partnership, and I am not bothered by not having a "words per day" commitment(I happen to prefer it).

Jamber

Sage
Hi MotherofDragons,

I don't have material ready to be critiqued, but would be keen to offer input in return for feedback on the odd synopsis or pitch (at least to start with). My background includes fiction editing and a published novel.

Would you like to propose a sample critique so we can feel our way forward? By all means say 'no' if you feel my critiquing style or writing style isn't right for you.

By the way, I'm Australian, if it matters -- it doesn't to me.

best wishes
Jennie

LadyofKaos

Scribe
I've only just joined the site but this is one of the many reasons why I've come - to find like minded writers for critiques, etc. My first novel has recently been published and I'm working on the second in the series. I'll do yours if you'll do mine. PM me if you're still looking.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Is MotherOfDragons still looking? If not, please let everyone know. If so, I'm game.