• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What format should my work be?

My fantasy world is an anthropomorphic world that is a parody of our own. If anyone knows Bryan Talbot's Grandville graphic novels, it's like that but set in a kind of Marvel costumed hero universe. I had hoped to write it as an ongoing series of novels, but when I took it to a published author for advice, he thought a graphic novel would be more likely to sell. This is a bit of a let-down, since I have no experience of writing scripts for graphic novels. I have some talent for art, but only just enough to give an artist some ideas; I couldn't draw or paint a publication-worthy graphic novel.

Do you reckon an anthropomorphic story, aimed at adults, could sell better as a graphic novel, or a regular novel?

topazfire

Minstrel
I think you won't know until you start creating it. You have a well formed idea, but as far a the reception of that idea goes: there is really no way of knowing until the product is done and marketable.

Focus on the story and/or art, because in the end, the quality of the work is the most important aspect. Your format may change as you work on it and you may find new ways of presenting and combining art and writing. Don't pigeonhole yourself before you've even started. Enough people will do that for you when you are done.

If you haven't written a graphic novel script before, you could try to find a writing partner or a mentor. There are Graphic Novels that are drawn/written by a team.

Just get the story out of your head in whatever way it develops organically and then work forward from there.

Best of luck!