• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Co-Writer problems...???

Lumani

Minstrel
So, this is an on going problem for the last few years. I have been writing with a co-writer on a side project for the last 6 years and we have recently decided to try working towards getting it published now that we are nearing the end of one of our books.

My issue is this. For the last, probably 3 years, my co-writer has been emotionally checking out when it comes to our work. I have asked her before if she wanted to continue with this project or if she was getting bored with it. I am most passionate about this work and will continue it with out her...Many of these chars I am VERY attached too...however I have been getting very mixed feelings on weather she wants to do this or not. My biggest issue, is that in 3 years, she has put in mere pages of work, while I have been doing the vast majority of it including the story building part.

I am at point where I am ready to go back to do my second draft...and yes she has gone MIA on me...except for a few messages here or there about her ongoing marital problems. I am EXTREMELY patient with her, going on months of nonstop support for her, taking a break from writing and making little mention. All the while I am literally dying from lack of progress....Its not that i don't want to wait for her but its gotten to the point where, if I don't make contact, she doesn't attempt to talk to me. Unfortunately due to recent events that happened with her, I am no longer willing to make time for her, when she does little but kill any creativity I am currently feeling with her up and down attitude.

She hasn't given me permission to continue myself, instead she had skirted around the issue each time I broach the topic. Since half the characters she created along with creating the race along side me, I am very stuck on what to do.....Am I forced to just let these characters die, along with their story??? How much do I have to change in order to continue? What would you guys do??? I am so lost and somewhat heartbroken. This has happened to me in the past once before and I just can't see me ever completing anything if I'm forced to start all over again for the third time...

Again, this isn't a few weeks of writers block... or even a month....I have been struggling to get her to do anything for the past 3 years or so, and the story has been ongoing for almost 7.....

Ruby

Auror
Hi Lunani, this sounds like a very difficult situation. It seems that you are doing most of the writing and that the book is essentially your project. How do you physically collaborate on the writing? I recently read a fantasy book, I think it was called something like The Magic Chocolate Pot. It was written in the form of letters between two main characters. I was halfway through the book before I suddenly realised that there were two authors and they took it in turns to write their chapter. There were two MC's and one author would write a letter from her character's point of view and the other writer would write the second character's reply. I think they wrote the book by email and it was a "Pantsing" exercise. The book was quite good imo but didn't work on every level. At the end of the book they explained how they'd written it. It should be fun to be able to "bounce" ideas between you and your friend but it sounds as though this isn't happening. Maybe you could put her on the spot, and ask her to write the next chapter? :)

Last edited:

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Sorry to say this, but it's a common pitfall of partnerships. I think it sounds like a perfect time to do something, though. You need to set an ultimatum if you want it to change.

I am heading a group project right now, with four other writers, and communication is the key to making it work. If you are out of communication with your partner, I'd say cut her loose. I have a partner from another project who hasn't contributed to it in a year and she's only helping with my project to further her own agenda. I offered to buy her out

I'd recommend you do something similar. Come up with a condition or a dollar amount to buy out your partner, then cut your losses and don't look back. It sounds like your friendship is already over... so what else can you lose? I'd reach out to her and offer her something for her contribution, but if she pitches a fit, get some legal advice. The thing is, no concept is original and say, the worst thing you have to do is rewrite her parts, she has no legal claim to the work as a whole. Partnerships dissolve all the time and people have to move on. I'd try to do the kind thing first, open dialogue, tell her your honest concerns and offer her a dollar amount you feel is fair. It might lead to negotiations, or it might end just like that.

Consider what price you'll pay to never have to speak to her again. For me, it was $100 I offered, for the photographs I asked her to take, of my project.

Hope it helps.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I agree with Caged Maiden. Like it or not, it's a business venture. If one person isn't pulling their weight in a business, it fails. If you want to save your work on this project, you have to cut them loose. And if they're unreasonable and want to keep holding on, I'd suggest throw away what they contributed and use your own stuff. I'd also start delineating what they contributed and what you did.

From my own experience, I've tried to work with one of my best friends on multiple occasions over the years, but it never turns out. I'm the one who usually initiates and they never really do anything but pick at the plate. I'm fortunate that I never got invested like you did, but even if I did, I wouldn't have to worry about it. We're good enough friends for it not to be a problem. But I came to realize that if I wanted to get anything done, I had to do on my own.

Nagash

Sage
On a non-business note, maybe you should continue the work alone but consult her about what to do with the races and character she created. You'd avoid hurting her feelings towards her creation, while maintaining a solid pace in your writing. Just tell her you feel like continuing the book and that she clearly is in too bad a place to continue so far, and that when she does feel inspired again she can jump back on the project you would have carried along while her break.

I don't have much group-wrinting experience, but having a tough time bossing around people, I guess thats how I would handle such situation.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Ultimatums cause problems. They come across as threatening.*

A related but genuinely more effective idea is called the "Takeaway Close." The idea is to make them fight for it by appearing to have just barely decided to take it away. There's no threat - you've already decided it's just gone.

You go to your partner, and you say, "It seems to me like you've checked out. I guess that's okay when it comes to us being friends, but it's not for the project. I'm sorry it's come to this, I don't want to do it, but I think you're out."

The idea is to close the door with enough reluctance that the other person has every incentive to fight for the position if they want it. Of course, two things:

- You have to be serious, and prepared for the other person to take the out.
- Everyone is different and so is every situation, so you need to adjust it to the person. That takeaway sweetspot line is in different places for different people. Some people don't like conflict or can't take hints or might have personal situations causing the problems or whatever else, so consider who you're speaking to.

Some people do this even when they know the other person is committed just to try and make them fight for it and make them more committed. It tends to work.

If you do it right and they don't fight for it, you're better off without them for the project. They've got to want it - you can't drag them through it. But, of course there's some caveats there, too. It would be helpful to know why they're checking out, and whether it comes from any concerns related to the project which you can tackle directly.

((edit))*

I only skimmed before and saw the word "ultimatum" - taking another look, this line doesn't actually address anyone's specific post.

Last edited:

Alexandra

Closed Account
... Again, this isn't a few weeks of writers block... or even a month....I have been struggling to get her to do anything for the past 3 years or so, and the story has been ongoing for almost 7.....

Years ago when I sat down with my agent to discuss my first book-length writing project, which involved myself and one other person, she stressed that publishers do not like books "written by committee" (her words). This post explains quite clearly at least one reason why. I dissolved my earlier co-author partnership, I suggest you do the same.

TWErvin2

Auror
I think at this point you really need a written agreement/contract between the co-creators, outlining objectives and responsibilities and what will be done with the project when finished, and how decisions are to be made. Also, a section or clause on what would be done should one of the partners decide to abandon the project.

In truth, this should've been done soon after the partnership began, as this is a common result. I'm sure this situation wasn't imagined when the collaborative project began, with the new ideas and fresh energy. Times change, situations change, priorities change, friendships change, and people change.

While it is a creative venture, if you hope to ever have the piece published, that makes it a business venture.

Sorry it is working out this way.

What I would do? Until the situation and contract is worked out, I would begin another project--difficult as that may be.