• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hair Question

Ojara

Dreamer
9d7186daf8ccefa35ed91dccf41ee22c.jpg

So, I am struggling to describe the above hair, besides, spiked bangs, are there any other recommendations on how to go about this? Or is 'spiked bangs' the way to go?

Thank you and sorry for the lame question! :p

Tom

Istar
I have this hairstyle, but I don't really know what it's called. Pathetic, huh? I think it's usually just referred to as "brushed forward".

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Sometimes when you're finding it difficult to describe something, you may find your answer in simile & metaphor.

Depending on setting context, you could convey the image accurately by likening it to something every reader inherently understands, like a shark's fin, in this case.

That example is off the cuff and probably doesn't suit the story you're telling. It's meant only to illustrate the point.

Further, if your description (whether metaphorical or not) also helps characterize, well that's even better.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Let a woman step in here ;)

It is actually called the 'modern ceasar cut', and yes, that is because Julius Ceasar had the same bloody hairstyle. Men's fashion hasn't changed overly much in a few thousand years.

As far as describing it for your story… I think that T.Allen.Smith was probably bang on. Use an analogy people would understand to create a visual.

Ojara

Dreamer
I'd call it The typical white guy haircut. Everyone will know what you mean.

I have to be honest, this made me laugh pretty hard.
Thank you all for the suggestions. Someone told me of a similar hairstyle called 'quaffed'. Google it, it's quite funny looking actually, so... I was thinking like this:

His short dirty blonde hair was quaffed at the bangs, giving them the appearance of miniature spikes.

Good/bad? Too long of a description? Opinions?

Please be gentle with me, my emotions are on the brink of insanity! :eek:

Nimue

Auror
Helio's description is good if it's modern, but historical-fantasy-wise I'd probably say something along the lines of "short-cropped and tousled in the front." If the reader doesn't have the exact picture in mind, it's not a huge deal. What's important is what the haircut says about the person--well-kempt and on the stylish side, in this case.

Edit @ ninja-post: Quaffing is to take a drink of something. I think you're looking for coif, which is a generic term for a hairstyle, though it generally refers to a fancy one. Also, bangs or fringe refers to hair that goes past the natural hairline, hanging over the forehead, which doesn't apply in this case.

/hair

Last edited:

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
yeah, I agree with Nimue.

Coiffed is the word you are looking for, but it usually means 'elaborately styled', so not the right word in this case.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I have to be honest, this made me laugh pretty hard.

Glad to be of service.

After having made Ojara's day slightly more humorous Banten walked off into the sunset, sporting the very same haircut that every other white guy had.

Last edited:

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Sir Herrington the Red removed his coif, revealing his typical white guy haircut.

"A typical white guy hair color," noted Lady Poncy. "They don't call you The Red because of your hair."

"Nope," Herrington mumbled in the casual monotone of a typical white guy.

Sorry... chose not to resist. As said above, your reader doesn't need an exact style, and there are many like Tom who don't know the name of their own hairstyle, so the name might not give a visual.

Jord's short-cropped hair grew unnaturally above his eyebrows, causing it to spike up above his forehead when he did not let it grow out. The girls loved it. Jealous, Mikal began to use copious amounts of thick pig fat to achieve the same effect. But the girls just curled their noses whenever he approached them.

Nimue

Auror
As an addendum--I wouldn't spend overly long describing the hair just to get at the shape or image of it, but if it gets across other characterizing information, that's another thing. Such as:

"His sandy hair was short-cropped and licked up in the front, giving him the appearance of a young lad, just gone off to war."

Reactions: Tom

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
yes, again, Nimue makes a very valid point. I'm in the controversial camp that excessive character descriptions are unnecessary, and most readers like to make up what the character looks like in their own mind anyway. A few basics are necessary, sometimes, to distinguish certain characters from each other, but I find it best to use something that has a purpose to the characterization, instead of just basic appearance.

So, if he had short cropped hair because he worked in the blacksmith forge and it was a precaution against having his hair burnt up, I would add that. How exactly it is cropped, however, would be unnecessary. I would let the reader figure that out on their own.

(Disclaimer… this may come from just being a woman reader, and liking to make up my own mind about what the MC looks like, based on my own personal taste of attractiveness).

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteCrow

Acolyte
This is actually the Caesar cut. Jim Carry had it in Dumb & Dumber.
100 Cool Short Hairstyles And Haircuts For Boys And Men

That is more a quiff cut. Don't use quaff which is the proper spelling and coifed is too stylized. A simple explanation would be a shaggy crew cut seeing as a typical crew is cut short sides / back and the top / bangs left longer anyways. You don't need grease / hair gel to make the hair stand up - simply running the hands through it a few times will make it stand up anyways.

DanJames

Scribe
This is kind of funny, when I was young this was referred to as 'the coo's lick'. Coo being slang/colloquialism for Cow; sort of referring to the idea that if a cow lick the whole way up your face, the saliva would act like a hair gel of sorts.

I know that's not a particularly great descriptor in any fashion, but if you start thinking of the absurd scenarios in which certain things (such as hair) can do certain things (such as sit a particular way) then it can help to describe them. Well, for me at least.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
If it were my character, I'd say his hair was "cropped close on the sides but slightly longer on top, with oil or sweat standing it on end in small spikes." That being said, I'm not really one to describe hair or clothing unless it's pertinent to the scene-setting. I tend to use descriptions rather than popular terms for things.

<-- Like, if I were describing a mohawk (as I wear my own hair), I wouldn't use the modern term, I'd say, "cut so close on the sides his scalp showed, and then a longer stripe down the middle, from forehead to nape."

Hope that helps. I just feel like if it's important enough to describe, and you're using a historical setting, a description might be better than the modern wording? Not sure. The few times I've described hair, I've done it like this:

The cool morning air justified Daniela’s kerchief that concealed unwashed hair in need of brushing.

His calloused hand slid through her hacked-off hair, and down her left shoulder.

Falling in beside the young lawyer, she pulled a silk scarf from her pocket and wrapped it over her sweaty brow, covering hair cropped short for mourning.

The stable hand, Luca, rushed for her, a whirlwind of bony limbs and uncombed hair.

Daniela took a long look at Rafe’s unruly hair and unshaved face.

His hair, graying on the temples, hung in limp, too long strands, clumped with sweat and oil.

Father often commented on how alike Daniela and Andrea were, with their mother’s light hair and blue eyes. If only he knew how their similarities ran deeper, to their very spirits.

His top buttons were undone and his cravat gone. His hair even looked washed, the pomade removed, leaving it soft rather than slick.

So yeah...I like to let readers picture what they will, but give the smallest hint of what I'm picturing. I feel like giving too much detail creates a sort of study of the character in question, but since I write romance, I try to do that at times, because it fits better. Here's one of my favorite scenes about hair. I think I posted it before when we were talking about the little weird ways we use description of natural physiological things in stories:

Fingers working ineffectively, she said, “My comb must have fallen out of my pocket. Have you one I might borrow?”

Iminrick ran his hand over his shorn head and said, “You’ll be hard-pressed to find one here, My Lady.”

She looked around at the other men in camp, all with similarly short hair, and some completely bald.

“Do you wear your hair so short to appear more frightening?” she asked the mercenary, quietly.

He chuckled. “These men live in a guild house with a hundred others, some who share their beds with dogs or whores. Fleas and nits abound. The only thing for it’s a sharp blade.”

“That’s disgusting,” Alayna spat.

“It probably seems so, to one who sleeps in a feather bed in a manse,” he said soberly. “I doubt you’ve ever seen a flea.”

“I mean that you share your bed with whores and dogs,” she said, coldly. She took a drink from her canteen.

“I didn’t say I did. But the pests don’t discriminate. They infest the linens of every bunk. The prestigious jobs are those which take you away from the guild house for a length of time.” He pointed to what must be a few months’ growth upon his head. “A sign of status. Well, that or toughness.” He winked. “Most of these men are shaved clean as babes, above and below.”

Alayna choked on her water.

Anyways, hope my ramblings helped somewhat!

Last edited: