• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

An extraterrestrial race saving the Humans of Earth?

Terra Arkay

Minstrel
I'm an amateur writer and I need your opinions...

What do you guys think about an extraterrestrial race saving a large percentage of the Human race and safely transporting them to planets in the deep ends of space far far from the coming darkness? A bit far-fetched? Does this meet the fantasy criteria? I MUST remember that this is a fantasy story... I tried to develop a reason to get my characters off of planet Earth but now looking back at this... it sounds a bit eccentric. If this is a bit eccentric, how can I get my characters off planet Earth?

Sounds sci fi... maybe that's just my opinion though. If you have any well-meaning gods/deities, they could easily do it. I think something similar happened in Dragonlance in the war of souls series. Although that might have been just the gods leaving/ only one coming back. Anyways, back on topic. Gods would be the easiest way to accomplish it, I think. Also, depending on how powerful your mages are or if you have magic, that could be an option.

I see no problem if you create a fantasy/sci-fi hybrid where perhaps the ETs are the peoples' deities and then a huge twist of them being superior beings.

What is the comming darkness? I know Larry Nivnen had quite a few books that had the majority of the stars near the center of the galaxy going super nova all at the same time, the destruction traveling outward, and some alien races finding ways to escape it.

If it is fantasy, I would think it more of moving to another dimension than leaving the planet, although fantasy ships does have some basis (there was a dungeons and dragons expansion for it).

The bigger question is what are they running from, and where are they trying to run too.

lawrence

Troubadour
Hmmm...yes as soon as alien races and interplanetary travel comes in, the story becomes Sci Fi I think ?

Check out the movies 'Outlander' and 'Knowing' for interesting takes.

I would agree that using supernatural/magical beings and cross dimensions would mesh better with a High Fantasy / Sword and Sorcery novel.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I think there's an episode of Doctor Who which did something very similar.

Walk the line. If spaceships fly because of matter/anti-matter micro-collisions you're in sci-fi. If spaceships fly because of a crystalline structure which fuses their engines with the same intergalactic mystery-web that mages use to cast spells, you're in fantasy.

Last edited:

Paul

Acolyte
The idea of extraterrestrials saving the human race sounds like sci-fi(to me) but i read somewhere about a genre of fantasy called 'science fantasy'; a genre of fantasy that involves science. For example, you can substitute cell regeneration(sci-fi) for immortality(fantasy) and psionics(sci-fi) for magic(fantasy).
However, you can add elements of fantasy to your story in order not to divert to sci-fi.

Paul

Acolyte
The idea of extraterrestrials saving the human race sounds like sci-fi(to me) but i read somewhere about a genre of fantasy called 'science fantasy'; a genre of fantasy that involves science. For example, you can substitute cell regeneration(sci-fi) for immortality(fantasy) and psionics(sci-fi) for magic(fantasy).
However, you can add elements of fantasy to your story in order not to divert to sci-fi.

Solomon Tan

Minstrel
I think it's a cool idea adding both together. Science fantasy yeah?

You could also allow humans to use magic or get the aliens to teach the humans magic to aid them in their escape or even their fight against this darkness..

Or some fantasy creatures like dragons or powerful liches?

I am also planning to add in elements of science into my magic system for my story.. I just prefer a wizard to cast a spell and need to contemplate with the reactions of different atoms.. Makes the wizard much more smarter and powerful..

Terra Arkay

Minstrel
Guys, this will probably be the only bit of interplanetary travel that will exist in the story. I've read your comments and I appreciate them. The gods in my story are called "The Watchers" and they do what their name implies, they simply watch the life they have created and allowed it to develop by itself though everynow and then, they'd interfere with life. Now my character Terra Arkay has been experiencing weird dreams, some prophetic, some bizarre and the line between reality and the dreams was a very thin one. One day he experienced a dream he struggles to comprehend and this is when his life changes... Now this extraterrestrial race is sorta like the angels, they've been instructed by The Watchers to save a large amount of the human race and scatter them across the universe... Terra Arkay just so happens to land on 'The Planet' (Yet to be named).

So it's fantasy with a hint of sci-fi, it starts of sci-fi and soon becomes fantasy. I've got sooo much work to do on my story guys, I'm yet to create a villain or even fully develop the main character, on a percentage scale, I'd say I've completed about 0.25% of the entire thing

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Throwing Magic and Technology together in a story has been done before, and it can be loads of fun!! Have you ever watched the animated series Winx Club?? It has fairies, witches and dragons mixed with modern cities, laser weapons and starships... it was wildly successful for some time, but now it has been pretty much forgotten =(

Talking from a personal point of view, in my own Fantasy stories there are super powerful mages and magical dragons while the common people have modern cities, super-tall skyscrapers, planes, warplanes, artificial illumination in the cities, energy weapons, missiles, heavy artillery and more... so yes, I like the mixture of fantasy and sci fi

I have also large starship-like vessels that can travel very long distances by flying at great speed, and those work by magic =)

Sheila

Terra Arkay

Minstrel
I've worked on a couple races for my story rather than your generic goblins and elves, I want it to be different. At the time our protagonists arrive on 'The Planet' (codename), the technological level of the planet shall be 10 years better than what we have today. This is a fantasy world, I must consider this... but the magic is limited, that is why this world isn't built entirely on magic but a mix of technology and science with magic. Instant teleportation at the snap of the fingers won't exist in my world, You'll have to use a thingy-majiggy teleporting gate imbued with magic located in each city. I don't think this is an original idea though...

Terra Arkay

Minstrel
Oh and an example of one of the races that'll feature in my story is The Mogans, Humans shall feature too but I've paid specific attention to these guys for reasons unknown. There's two branches to these guys, we've got wild Mogans and they're called Jungle Moga and we've got the more domesticated version and they're called City Moga, the difference between these two versions of Moga are little and a bit obvious, Jungle Moga are more wild while City Moga are more controlled.

Terra Arkay

Minstrel
@Sheilawisz: Thanks! This was mean't to be a big secret but the word Arkay was actually was specifically chosen, try and figure it out :p

I've also been wondering, it would be a little weird if he's called by his first and last name throughout the whole story, so I might shorten that down to Arkay... Perhaps I could preserve the calling of his full name for like the villains and stuff :p

In my world what everyone thinks is magic is technology. The gods being technologically advanced aliens is a bit of a sci-fi trope (stargate comes to mind), may be a bit cliché, and definitely deus ex machinima (or however that's spelled) in your case.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Sheilawisz: Thanks! This was mean't to be a big secret but the word Arkay was actually was specifically chosen, try and figure it out :p I've also been wondering, it would be a little weird if he's called by his first and last name throughout the whole story, so I might shorten that down to Arkay... Perhaps I could preserve the calling of his full name for like the villains and stuff :p
I have no idea what Arkay means, anyway it sounds great to me =) I think that characters should be called by their first name by everyone, the last name being called just sometimes or at least that's what I do in my own stories!!

I like a fantasy story that has both magic and technology, but I hate when magic is described as science of any kind... Magic should always be, in my opinion, the exact opposite of science =)

That's why it's MAGIC!!