• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

At a Loss on what to do

It's hard to describe how I feel right now. I just started working on the first chapter of a manuscript I've been outlining for the past week, but I'm finding that I'm not excited to write this. I don't if I'm just groggy or something like that, but I'm accustomed to being really pumped up whenever I start a new work, yet this isn't happening now.

If I had to be honest, all I want to do is go back to a series I was planning on rebooting, but the problem with that is that my previous projects have been based in the same world as that series. I really want to branch out into something new with new characters, but whenever I do, I don't get as excited when I'm returning to my old heroes.

I want to start writing something that is fresh and challenging for me, but I find it impossible to find an idea that gives me that desire to see the story through to the end. I've been thinking about branching off into a magic-punk style of fantasy for my next story, in order to keep it similar but different enough to be a new experience. But I'm still worried that once I'm done with the outline I'll just be tired and start thinking about the series I was planning to reboot.

Anyone gone through a similar phase?

Sent from my SM-J700M using Tapatalk

I'm still in that phase. I have found that my disinterest happens with everything, usually about a third of the way through the process for whatever project it is.

My general solution is to find a way to make it more interesting? I take plot ideas from my favorite movies, archetypes from authors like R.A. Salvatore and writing prompts from Pinterest to outline a new story or insert them in my current one:p it usually keeps me interested for a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still in that phase. I have found that my disinterest happens with everything, usually about a third of the way through the process for whatever project it is.

My general solution is to find a way to make it more interesting? I take plot ideas from my favorite movies, archetypes from authors like R.A. Salvatore and writing prompts from Pinterest to outline a new story or insert them in my current one:p it usually keeps me interested for a time

That would be worth trying, but using word prompts kind of always bummed me out. It felt to me like I was mocking my own imagination for no trying to use it. Of course, this is probably just a childish thought of mine.

That would be worth trying, but using word prompts kind of always bummed me out. It felt to me like I was mocking my own imagination for no trying to use it. Of course, this is probably just a childish thought of mine.

Not childish, very real. I try to twist them to my own realities and other plot points and stuff. You check out looking up "How to cope with multipotentiality" I have that issue but they have good tips on how to keep yourself in a project and keep going. Idk whether your a multipotentialite but the symptom of disinterest sounds a lot like it!

Is there some story idea (a character, a situation, a setting) that has often popped into your mind but you were too embarrassed by it, or too afraid that it seemed extreme, ridiculous, impossible to write without feeling stupid or crazy, or would reveal yourself far too much to the world?

Write it.

I know that I've often discovered myself to be bored whenever I fell back on "safe" stories, no matter how interesting those might have seemed. The stories that have excited me the most are those that made me feel a little wicked, heh, or at least in dangerous waters.

Is there some story idea (a character, a situation, a setting) that has often popped into your mind but you were too embarrassed by it, or too afraid that it seemed extreme, ridiculous, impossible to write without feeling stupid or crazy, or would reveal yourself far too much to the world?

Write it.

I know that I've often discovered myself to be bored whenever I fell back on "safe" stories, no matter how interesting those might have seemed. The stories that have excited me the most are those that made me feel a little wicked, heh, or at least in dangerous waters.
I can sympathize with this, in fact, what I was about to write came as a similar tale, but with one key difference. I always start with a fun idea, but then I start thinking about the kind of message I want to put into the story. When I do this, I make modifications to the tale that don't necessarily make it boring, but they make it less exciting.

I don't like stories with no depth, as I feel they lack meat. But at the same time, I go off the other end of the spectrum when I try to fix this issue. I try to make my stories TOO deep. I guess I want to make something that is as fun as the stereotypical sword and sorcery story while still having a decent amount of depth. Problem is, I have issues balancing this.

I want to make something high-concept...I'm thinking that maybe an original magic system would be good to experiment with. Maybe with a cookie-cutter plot, but with three dimensional characters...

C

Chessie

I don't like stories with no depth, as I feel they lack meat. But at the same time, I go off the other end of the spectrum when I try to fix this issue. I try to make my stories TOO deep. I guess I want to make something that is as fun as the stereotypical sword and sorcery story while still having a decent amount of depth. Problem is, I have issues balancing this.

Ugh. I so understand the struggle...

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
A lot of my stories start off this way. For me, it's about finding the interesting things in the story to grab on to. Ninety-nine percent of the time it's the characters and their desires and struggles.

With old stories, you know the characters and are engaged with their struggles. But with new stories, there isn't the same level of engagement yet. It's like new toy vs old toy. The old toy has memories and nostalgia attached to it. The new toy is still just a piece of plastic. You have to play with it to create the memories and attachment.

For me, that's the key. Find the heart and things tend to fall into place. And the only way to find it is to write.

Like playing with a new toy, it stars off as new shiny plastic and over time, emotional attachment comes along and the toy becomes more.

True, true. I'm leaning this way

Yeah this sounds like a good way. Honestly, it's going to come down to you deciding which story you're more passionate about and pursuing it similar to how you would pursue a future wife. If that makes any sense XD

Yeah this sounds like a good way. Honestly, it's going to come down to you deciding which story you're more passionate about and pursuing it similar to how you would pursue a future wife. If that makes any sense XD

A little too much sense, if you ask me [emoji23]

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Just another voice to say you're not alone in this feeling. There is no cure. There are a thousand cures, with no guarantee any of them will fit. The only sure failure is to stop trying. Otherwise, all I can do is offer condolences, sympathy and encouragement.

Just another voice to say you're not alone in this feeling. There is no cure. There are a thousand cures, with no guarantee any of them will fit. The only sure failure is to stop trying. Otherwise, all I can do is offer condolences, sympathy and encouragement.
I'll have to think on this then. My mind has been wrapped up in the reboot I want to make for the better part of a month or so. But I really like the characters in my current story, I just don't find myself thinking about them on a daily basis like my old heroes. Who knows? Maybe I was just tired today. Maybe tommorow I'll be able to reach a clearer decision. Thanks for stopping by.