• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Plotting for a panster?

I am now being swamped with this new story idea that keeps bombarding my mind. Only got small scenes. A contemporary non magic fantasy story with slight scifi and realistic in it. The problem is an ambitious idea with a kid as central character. The kid lost his childhood early on and in mentally an adult. He complex character that deals classified intel and works for gov in high position. This no easy feat to achieve as a writer. This character will have six years to develop to this position due to his parents dying at young age. Now i am a panster by nature and realize that i need to add plotting element. I have a learning disability. Due to my fractured thoughts , i use scrivener to organize my writing any suggestions on plotting for someone who cant seem to. Fyi rewatching movie salt and saw the pilot APB that that inpired the complexity of sigh. Sometimes i curse my imagination. Please someone can help point me in right direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Alyssa

Troubadour
Ender's Game should be a go to source here. Don't copy it, but see how Ender talks, thinks, develops.

You're a pantser, I am too for the most part. I plot for ages, then ignore my plot and develop it in whatever direction as I see fit, often to the detriment of the plot. The plot isn't the story, but it is important for it. Use the plot as a guide and framework to build your world up to a point where it is internally consistent. Then go full speed ahead by the seat of your pants. Once your world and characters have been properly fleshed out they'll develop naturally.

I am not sure how i would plot multiple story arcs it overwhelming to me but i am sure it is can be done just needs pointers in right direction need to find way break down hings down

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TWErvin2

Auror
Some writers use flow charts or index cards (moving them around), with plot elements, character introductions, key scenes or even dialogue. They use different color post-it notes, like notecards with info written on them, to represent different characters or interacting storylines.

Maybe one of those would help you organize your ideas?

Last edited:
Hi Write,

I'm the purest of pantsters myself - I can't write to a plot for love nor money, and believe me I've tried! But oddly I just wrote about this very thing on my blog a few weeks ago. This may be of help.

Greg's Books

Cheers, Greg.

Ronald T.

Troubadour
Pantser for sure. However, it takes a good memory to keep track of all the details in an ongoing epic-fantasy series. I just hope my mind holds out long enough to complete my series. But I'm an optimistic kind of guy. So I'll keep plodding along.

C

Chessie

I highly recommend Libbie Hawker's "Take Off Your Pants" as a resource on plotting.

Aryth

Minstrel
Trick, thanks so much for suggesting Dan Well's videos! I'm going through them right now and they are awesome. Would you mind sharing the excel file you use? I'm trying to find a plot structure method that works for me.
:)

Trick

Auror
No problem. PM me an email address and I'll send it over. It's a bit rough but it works well for me. It even has a scene sequel tab if you ever want to incorporate that style of planning.

Tort76

Acolyte
I'm a pantser but I've been writing future scenes in a notebook to keep them straight and to figure out some of the fine details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4265

What I do is I outline by pinning index cards on a board. I just write down everything I know needs to happen from major plot points to images I can't get out of my head that I know need to be in the rough draft then I move them around and try to connect the dots. I definitely recommend having a physical map of your story rather than trying to storyboard on the computer. For me at least, things just seem to "click" better when I have real tangible objects to move around.