• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Plot Pitfalls

Futhark

Inkling
Usually, I think, when working on a plot there are interlocking parts that are key points in the story. Then you change some stuff to make it better, but after reviewing the key points, you realise that some parts are now missing. The wheels fall off, so to speak. This happened to me recently. So, I need some nuts to help get the wheels back on. I'll try to simplify the problem.

The magician (M) has a special talent to see into the past and future. When he has a near death experience, his adventure into the ghost land gives him hidden knowledge and a chance to look into possible futures that may occur, based on his actions. I think this is fine, it's basically his call to adventure.

The samurai/ranger (SR) needs a special rune to stop him turning into a monster. Only M knows it. This special rune also allows him to cheat death at the hands of the big bad, become a new breed of monster, and help save the day. This was one of the original key points that inspired the story.

Trouble spot. Originally these two started out together. Now they don't. At the moment, their only link is what M sees in a possible future. I think this is a rather weak connection, but I can't think of anything other than change the start of the story again (which is ok, still at outline stage).

Has anyone had trouble connecting two characters, and how did you overcome this? What other options do I have?

Advance thank you for input. :D

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Why do they no longer start out together? Or, at least, could they be old friends?

About those possible futures, are we talking three or four, or hundreds? Even at that, if SR & M (which sounds like an investment firm) were old friends, long separated, then when M sees SR on a future path, he would be motivated to go down that path.

Or some other personal connection. I think it's strongest if the two have some connection that is prior to, and deeper than, runes and monsters and big bads.

Alyssa

Troubadour
If you don't want them to start out together, that's fine. But you have a prescient wizard able to see the future possible timelines. Why not give him visions of fire and destruction for any timeline in which he doesn't meet up with your Samu-ranger[SUP]TM[/SUP]. That way your samu-ranger is oblivious to what is to come, but you have your magician actively looking for him, because avert-the-end-of-the-world-and-all-that.

Futhark

Inkling
To answer skip's question, they originally met on the trip to the capital to begin their respective careers. This happens at the same time each year, as new initiates are inducted. I changed the story so it begins a little later, just after they settled in. I hadn't thought they might have a previous connection before that, but it's certainly a possibility.

@ Alyssa. Yeah, that's pretty much the current direction. SR is oblivious and M is searching for him. What I don't want is for M to have all the particulars (name, address, star sign, favourite food etc..:)). I think I need to work out some clues for M to follow, and avoid the happy coincidence scenario. If that requires a previous connection or not, well, I'll work it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Alyssa

Troubadour
An image of your mc atop the ramparts of a distinctive castle would do. Or in a specific city.
Or eating a fruit that only grows in a certain region.
Backdrop of architecture.
Species of tree, birds, etc.
Types of armour.
Skin colour of natives + clothes.
Terrain.
Phases of the moon could also provide a time.
Weather.

You can use all sorts of things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Futhark

Inkling
Of course. He sees the silhouette of SR and follows that back down the timeline, taking notice of

An image of your mc atop the ramparts of a distinctive castle would do. Or in a specific city.
Or eating a fruit that only grows in a certain region.
Backdrop of architecture.
Species of tree, birds, etc.
Types of armour.
Skin colour of natives + clothes.
Terrain.
Phases of the moon could also provide a time.
Weather.

You can use all sorts of things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And following the trail.
Thank you.