• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do I describe/write a scene at it's best

Aeryn

Dreamer
Ever since I've began writing, I've noticed a struggle. A struggle that comes forward in Dutch and English.

This struggle is portraying scenes in the best way possible. Really. If you ask me to describe something I'll be like: "Uh... How do I do that?". I just feel a block when it comes to it and can't get past it. The descriptions are always basic. I never describe a whole town or the clothes that a character is wearing (because let's face it. Fashion is not something I'm in to). All I describe is the hair color, their eye color and that's it. Nothing else.
Writing out scenes... Let's not even go there (now I really do sound like a bad and inexperienced writer). I'm no expert, and no beginner anymore (have gained experience over the years). I'm a bit in between :D ! Not bad, but not very good either (maybe I'm too stern for myself).

Describing emotions/movements is something I lack experience of as well. Especially in English (I most of the time use a list with emotions while writing). So my question here would be: How to describe the right emotion at the right place in the story?

In other words, how do I describe/write a scene at it's best :) ?

(I mostly work with thoughts. Thoughts, thoughts and more thoughts. That's why I sometimes prefer first person instead of third person, but would love to gain experience in third person as well :) ! )

Butterfly

Auror
The best advise it think i can give is to write the scene from your character's viewpoint. Use the five senses as much as you can. Sight, Sound, Smell, touch, and taste, and tailor these things to what that specific character would notice, e.g a priest would notice different things in the world around him than a thief.

Malik

Auror
It just comes with practice. Writing is like playing the violin. Or maybe the bagpipes. There is a lot of noise and screeching and sending friends and pets running for cover at first. I've been writing for thirty years and I still have to rework scenes to get the best out of them.

Another apt analogy is what Michelangelo said once, about how inside every block of stone he could see a statue trying to get out. Recognizing the best way to show a scene is its own skill, and it just comes with time.

C

Chessie

A couple things: can you write in your native tongue instead? Or did you want to practice writing it in English?

-take a passage from a story you like, one with prose similar in style to what you feel drawn to. Write it on a notebook. Separate it by sentences. Understand what's happening. Copy it with your own prose. But, don't spend too much time here. Writing books is about story not sentences! Brandon Sanderson mentions in one of his videos that it's nice to start with a line about the character, then a setting detail, plot detail, back to character emotion.

-Descriptive prose comes with practice and lots of reading. There are craft books out there that can help immensely Spellbinding Sentences is one I've used in the past.

-Read a lot. Read for enjoyment but also to understand how, exactly, the author is keeping you in the story. Learning about storytelling is really the most important thing, because then you'll understand more naturally how to write the prose. Just from my experience, others could see this differently.

-Keep writing. Write a lot. This is the only way to learn how to write fiction. You must write! Otherwise, how can you apply all those juicy nuggets of information you learn? Go with your gut, too when describing things. With time, it'll become easier. :)

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Chessie pretty much beat me to the punch... but I will add, pay close attention to your market here. Different readers of different genres will have different expectations. And different writers will do different things, and they can be successful. Starting out, I was all about physical description ad nauseum, now? I am descriptive light (at least for epic fantasy) when it comes to the physical. Instead, I stay deep in the character's head, and really only write the things the character is focusing on, and what matters. We'll see if I succeed, so far it at least works for some folks.

You can see the differences in opinion and style just by thinking of how writers deal with describing the MC's physical appearance... some don't at all, others go into great detail. Read and write, read and write, find what works for you and your story.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
C

Chessie

Chessie pretty much beat me to the punch... but I will add, pay close attention to your market here. Different readers of different genres will have different expectations. And different writers will do different things, and they can be successful. Starting out, I was all about physical description ad nauseum, now? I am descriptive light (at least for epic fantasy) when it comes to the physical. Instead, I stay deep in the character's head, and really only write the things the character is focusing on, and what matters. We'll see if I succeed, so far it at least works for some folks.

You can see the differences in opinion and style just by thinking of how writers deal with describing the MC's physical appearance... some don't at all, others go into great detail. Read and write, read and write, find what works for you and your story.
Did your stomach turn when I mentioned Sanderson? :insertevillaughhere

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Nah, Sanderson's writing advice is better than his practice, LOL. I almost think if you merged Sanderson and Rothfuss, you might end up with a great book, heh heh. Erikson's writing makes both of them look like geniuses. I've actually made it through about 25% of Name of the Wind now, but it is sooo easy to put down. His 1st POV is much better than his 3rd, but he can really put me into snooze mode with his story telling.

Did your stomach turn when I mentioned Sanderson? :insertevillaughhere

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Generally speaking, what you describe and how you describe it is a reflection of your character's thoughts and emotions. Describing surroundings and how characters move about the scene can be a way to expose inside of a character without being overt about it.

So to start, figure out what emotions and information you're trying to convey in the scene and design your scene to reveal those things. Choose descriptions and what to describe based on what emotions you're trying to reflect, of course, in addition to what information you're trying to convey.

Every thing described serves a purpose, ideally more than one.

For example, let's take the cliche teen boy goes to a girl's house to pick her up for a date. Let's say one of the emotions you want to convey is fear.

When the boy arrives at the house, the Dad calls him into the kitchen for a talk. He asks about the boy and genuinely takes an interest in getting to know him, while he's going about the kitchen cooking. He's cutting veggies, tenderising meat, etc.

If you describe the dad as massacring a chicken by cleaving its head and limbs off. It projects a certain image and feeling. And that can get added to if you describe him beating a steak to death with a tenderiser and blood splattering everywhere.

Now if instead you describe the dad as joyfully moving about the kitchen stirring pots with care, wearing a smile as he offered the boy a taste of everything, that projects a different feeling.

Again, just figure out what you emotions you need to convey in a scene and what information you need to reveal and design your scene to reflect and reveal those things.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Penpilot's advice is sound. I should've added to my first response, that starting out I did very little on the emotional side in description (I think I might be part Vulcan) so I really had to dig deep into the character's head to reach the place I wanted. This can also be effected by POV... by getting into a third intimate, it really forces your hand on the emotional side, IMO.

On the topic of description: I think being able to describe well starts with noticing and observing. Meaning, a writer cannot describe the details of the world they create unless they take special care to pay attention to the details of the world they live in.

Lots of good advice has been offered. Mine is different. I say work on observing the world. When you are in a new place (or a familiar place), take a moment to take note of what you see, hear, smell, etc. and what it makes you feel and think of. Notice odd little details about places and people and things you pass by. When you see something like golden light sifting through the pine needles of the neighbors' trees at sunset, put that into words, if only in your head.

One thing that helps me with describing places is to focus on lighting and colors. I don't know why; does this mean I am a visual thinker? But if I have a picture in my head, I find it most helpful to focus on the colors (golden light? blue shadows? green gloom beneath trees?) and lighting (^) of a scene. Like you would do in a painting. Because, well, you're making a picture.

Aeryn

Dreamer
Wow! I'm speechless for all the amazing response and tips I've got so far! Thank you all for your input! This really will help me to move forward!

There was a question from Chessie which I would like to answer: Yes, I would like to practice my writing in English (here is a bit of an explanation as to why that is):
I've written in Dutch for most of my child/teenage hood (started writing when I was around 9 or 10 years old). Until I got to learn English at Highschool. I had my first attempt of writing in English there, and even showed my English teacher a part of the story. Not sure what he thought of it anymore, as it already has been a long time ago! Ever since, I've also still written in Dutch, but English kept calling to me.
When I had finished high school I sort of got a writer block and was only able to write during NaNoWrimo. Actually have written 3 NaNoWrimo novels. 2 in Dutch and one in English.

However, in 2014 the Writers block only got worse and haven't written since (this due to a stress period I had). It's since last year, in 2016, that I'm actually have picked up on writing again. Was able to finish a Twilight fanfic (in English), and since that one is finished, I'm back on the brainstorm path again for two other stories:D !

I'm also person who needs to be challenged. Without a challenge, I just lack of... I need to grow in what I do :) . With Dutch it feels like that one day, I'll know it all when it comes to writing, and it will be too easy for me. With English it's more of a challenge :) . There is always space to grow on how to write a sentence right, learn new words and so on. In English I also feel like I can put the emotions clearer, better then in Dutch. English is much softer (in my opinion). Writing a Fantasy in English is a HUGE challenge for me. A challenge I truly, from the bottom of my heart, love :) .

Last edited:

oenanthe

Minstrel
you know, I'm wondering if part of this is wanting the first draft of your scene to come out perfect the first time you write it, and while you are filling up the empty screen, you are expecting to take every element that makes a good scene into account, and then write it, using a combination of all of these elements at once, and doing so at a high level of skill.

and honestly? I can't do that. I just can't. I know I can't, and that is my greatest strength.

now a lot of people will set their goal by wordcount. I do not. my goal is to write a scene in a day. Just one scene (though if I'm really cooking and have a lot of time, I'll go ahead and write a second, and very rarely a third.)

So when I hit a scene, I just do what I can, easily, fluidly, and automatically (I also outline a scene before I write it to help me remember its dramatic structure.) Now as the years have gone on and my studies have continued, the range of "what I can do automatically" has expanded a great deal. but I'm nowhere near the level of writing a striking, vivid, layered scene on the first go.

so what comes out?

Well. For me, it's a LOT of untagged dialogue and a few actions. glimpses of the character's point of view, maybe the description of a detail that really stood out for me. but the first run through of a scene, for me, is a lanky, rawboned thing that invariably talks too much.

But i've written it, and if I followed my dramatic outline, the scene has its own power and purpose, and shows the legacy of the scenes that came before it, and has a hook into the events that come after it. my first draft of a scene is probably about 750 - 1100 words.

Then - and this is an important part of the process - I get up. I go to work or to class. I go wash the dishes, play with my dog, run a load of laundry, replace my duvet cover, read a book, cook myself something. I take a break. at least an hour. maybe longer.

Now I do what they tell you not to do, I'm afraid.

And then I go back to that scene and edit it. I figure out what it's missing. I trim down the dialogue so it's spare and lean and carries subtext, hidden motive, whatever. I write my transitions. I fill in setting, mood, symbolism. This fills the scene out to about 1500 words, give or take a couple hundred.

Then I call it drafted, and my writing for the day is done.