• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How would one describe a sword beam?

I am currently writing an epic fantasy that is a mix of dungeons and dragons with a little bit of anime and discworld. My main character is a sword mage whose main attack is to fire a sword beam at his enemies. Visually, it would look like Ichigo from the Bleach anime. But I have no idea how to describe it. Any ideas?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
What is wrong with saying he fired a sword like a beam of light at his enemies?

Watched a battle on youtube. If you want to describe every nuance of the light in the animation, I think you have a tough task.

RedAngel

Minstrel
It's a shame what happened to bleach.

Regardless, I don't typically allow high magic to be channeled through metal weapons. I often feel like magic is best channeled through wands or staves. But a Sword mage is tricky.

Is it a one or two handed sword? And in what manner does he/she cast this beam? Also what type of magic is this beam? Knowing that might help a bit in which to describe how it is used.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I said this in a different thread, but how something is described depends on your POV character, and what you're trying to covey with the description.

Sorry, I haven't watched Bleach, but as mentioned above, sometimes all you need to say they fired a beam from their sword. Other times you may want to go more elaborate, but that depends on what you're trying to do with the description. Generally speaking, description has a job to do beyond just the surface visual. It conveys emotion, and knowing what emotions need to be conveyed will lead you to the right words to use.

If I describe a sword beam as "a rabid dog, roaring across the battlefield, tearing apart everything in its way" it conveys a completely different emotion than if I described it as "a warm golden beam of heavenly brilliance, smiting all the wicked in its path to return justice to the land."

I don't know your characters. I don't know the emotions involved and what the needs of the story are, so it's hard for me to give you anything more than this.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
You could think of the ways you would describe rays of light from the sun. Such as light streaming in through a window. Or describe the beams the way you would if it were water coming from the sword.