• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Post songs that best represent your writing

I'll bite although I have different themes, not always easily overlapping.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so far the best vocalized music to represent my recent work. I am unsure of the language used in the music, but it is very tempting to listen.

Nomadica

Troubadour
Ah yes I really like that kind of epic music Tangle Shine. I'm going for epic but I think I'm going for a slightly darker feeling with my story.

RedAngel

Minstrel

The song is slightly loud so you may want to turn the volume down at first.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
This is the the song that came to serve as the foundation for the mood of my first attempt at a novel (still not done).

I don't really do very well with a lot of epic/bombastic music, but then my stories are also kind of low-key.

Where to start?!?! Several of my characters have their own playlists, and I almost always listen to music while writing and brainstorming, so...there's a lot. I'll...pick some at random

This song inspires me so much for one of my story ideas (it's actually on a playlist I started for that story) and also this one evokes one of my most important settings so well. This is just such an evocative and beautiful song. Aaaahhh.

Mark Eliyahu - Journey - YouTube

Crywolf's music is dark, weird and full of wrenching feeling, much like my writing. If we're talking about what artists represent the themes of my writing as a whole, I'd say this one is among them:

Crywolf - We Never Asked For This - YouTube

For inspiration; Audiomachine, Really Slow Motion, and Two Steps from Hell are all great for sinking into brainstorming of fantastical ideas:

audiomachine - Creation - YouTube

This is one of the songs I use to get "in the zone" for my WIP:

Arkasia - Pandemonium - YouTube

Of course, I could post literally hundreds more...The crafting of my playlists was time-consuming...

Insolent Lad

Maester
Of course, the songs that best represent my writing are the ones I wrote for my trailers.

I think this perfectly fits with what I want my writing to be like. On the surface it sounds like a 50s pop song but with something unsettling and dreamlike about it. And of course those incredibly cryptic lyrics. The haunting atmosphere is what I like to replicate as much as possible.

This song, by the way, is part of an album that is often described as an unofficial soundtrack to the television series Twin Peaks and shares similar themes and imagery and is also produced by the same person.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team

Don't really know why. Maybe I just want to share this unknown little gem.

Sangfroid - At Long Last - YouTube

Don't really know why. Maybe I just want to share this unknown little gem.
I really enjoyed both of these.

This song doesn't stylistically match my writing like the song in my last post, but it was majorly influential in creating my horror manuscript (so much so that I contemplated naming the title after the song, or naming it something similar). The song is about how the world looks like it's on the brink of destruction, but this song was made in the early 80s and no destruction ever came, and that had me thinking. There are people no matter what era you're in that suspects the world is about to end, and that was an interesting theme that I began to toy in my head, which eventually led me to other ideas.