• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

To ore dystopia or to not pre dystopia that is the question.

So I have a story nugget. There are two ways I can take this story nugget. On the one hand I can make it a standard legal thriller. On the other, I can make it a legal thriller about the lead up to a totalitarian regime.
The story idea centers around the US government using genetic databases from private companies, like ancestry.com, and using it to wrongfully accuse people. FOr the standard legal thriller, it'd be a mere case of over zealous policing and mistaken identity. FOr the pre dystopia, it would have the mistaken identity but also a deliberate plot to remove the right to due process and set up a totalitarian regime.

so, what would you chose and why?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
You know, I had a similar thought. My brother recently did the ancestry.com thing and I thought, wow, how long till everyones DNA is on file and the government takes it over.

I like the first one. Legal thriller garnered more interest from me. Plus, totalitarian governments seem like low hanging fruit.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
The first seems like it'd be a simpler and more straightforward story to tell. The second, I think, would require more world building and set up.

Personally, to help me decide, I'd try doing an rough outline for each to see where it would go and if there's more to the story than what I had envisioned. Because I see potential in both, and for me, which I'd write would depend on my mood and what type of story I felt like writing.

Why not write both? Make them a duology and have the first story lead into the next.

It's so close to reality that it might as well be set in current world. Making it a complicated issue of corrupt police, mistakes, and political agendas would make it even closer to reality.

Russ

Istar
I like the movement towards dystopia approach. I like higher concept where more is at stake, and the current political environment is getting people thinking about these issues if you can get it written fast enough.

And from a venal perspective straight legal thrillers are moderately cold while dystopian fiction is quite hot.

Butterfly

Auror
You could even go a step further.

Take the example of a man who was stopped for a minor traffic offence, and his DNA was taken, it led to the police finding a murderer. His DNA was very similar to one that was harvested at the murder, and was never caught, and the DNA from the murder unmatched to a suspect. It meant the police could then investigate other members of his family. The DNA from the crime was the DNA of his father. The police only found him through his son's DNA.

Could also lead to ... Justice never forgets ... Perhaps in your dystopian thriller, the children of uncaptured or previously unknown criminals can now be prosecuted through their DNA link for crimes their parents had committed in the past.

For me, one leads into the next; or, part and parcel.

Even if you wrote the legal thriller, you could easily imply it's an indicator that dystopia might be around the corner.

The difference is in plotting and how much you want to show the story from the "on the ground" perspective vs the more holistic perspective. Plus, if you are writing the strict legal thriller, you don't absolutely need to draw the world as proto-dystopian—although I think it'd be more powerful if you did.

Personally, I'm very tired of the dystopia trope. Seems far too easy. This is basically the MCU approach to plotting: whole world is at stake, omg! But the on-the-ground Marvel-Netflix approach is still interesting. As a metaphor.

Plus, there's something about the trope of dystopia—as it's often drawn—that always strikes me as being unrealistic, an exaggeration. For writing a polemic, parable or allegory, it can work. But I'm not often swayed by the heavy handed approach.

That said, having an indistinct, looming, potentially-dark world somewhere up ahead is a lot creepier, and delivering the parable with more subtlety can work wonders for me. So if it were me, I'd probably write the standard legal thriller while suggesting that a dark road might lie ahead.

Last edited:
So I have a story nugget. There are two ways I can take this story nugget. On the one hand I can make it a standard legal thriller. On the other, I can make it a legal thriller about the lead up to a totalitarian regime.
The story idea centers around the US government using genetic databases from private companies, like ancestry.com, and using it to wrongfully accuse people. FOr the standard legal thriller, it'd be a mere case of over zealous policing and mistaken identity. FOr the pre dystopia, it would have the mistaken identity but also a deliberate plot to remove the right to due process and set up a totalitarian regime.

so, what would you chose and why?
When I started reading this post, I thought it was about Satan's lawyer like you mentioned in the opening line game (I really liked that one, oh my god so stylish :D) but I think you should go for the legal thriller, for no particular reason.

If I understand correctly one would be your typical legal thriller and the other world lean more towards fantasy/dystopian? Those are two different genres, that can be weaved together but elements of dystopian would need to be in your first book if you wanted to make like a series from this idea.

The problem is people looking to read a thriller would love the first book but in the second book which was more dystopian they may not like the 'fantasy' of it and people who want dystopian might struggle with the legal thriller because it's not 'there cup of tea'. I could be totally wrong about this concern, but that's the danger of having two books that are different genres. Different genres have a different target audience. My step-dad was reading a thriller series a while ago, just your basic thriller serial killing stuff, then on book three it went towards a more urban fantasy role like the dresden files and he complained. The first book had set him up thinking it would be a normal, real-world story. The detective caught the killer only to discover he was working for the real master mind, who turned out to be part of this fantasy clan of human killers. But the first book had nothing to suggest that turn, no ritualistic killings, no voodoo, nothing supernatural at all. He stopped reading the series.

if you decided to keep it a single book: I'd go with the thriller. Best of luck

If I understand correctly one would be your typical legal thriller and the other world lean more towards fantasy/dystopian? Those are two different genres, that can be weaved together but elements of dystopian would need to be in your first book if you wanted to make like a series from this idea.

The problem is people looking to read a thriller would love the first book but in the second book which was more dystopian they may not like the 'fantasy' of it and people who want dystopian might struggle with the legal thriller because it's not 'there cup of tea'. I could be totally wrong about this concern, but that's the danger of having two books that are different genres. Different genres have a different target audience. My step-dad was reading a thriller series a while ago, just your basic thriller serial killing stuff, then on book three it went towards a more urban fantasy role like the dresden files and he complained. The first book had set him up thinking it would be a normal, real-world story. The detective caught the killer only to discover he was working for the real master mind, who turned out to be part of this fantasy clan of human killers. But the first book had nothing to suggest that turn, no ritualistic killings, no voodoo, nothing supernatural at all. He stopped reading the series.

if you decided to keep it a single book: I'd go with the thriller. Best of luck
One doesn't lead into the other. It's more of an either or question.

When I started reading this post, I thought it was about Satan's lawyer like you mentioned in the opening line game (I really liked that one, oh my god so stylish :D) but I think you should go for the legal thriller, for no particular reason.
I am thinking of Satan's lawyer actually being a second book in a series (book 1 is a contract dispute between a family and a demon).