• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

My character doesn't like her name. Help

Nomadica

Troubadour
My MC I have named Zara just keeps fighting with me over her name. I'ts a perfectly good name that I worked hard to choose. It has all the qualities that I was looking for in a name for her. To me it sounds feminine yet a hint of bad-ass. But every time I imagine her or someone addressing her, I have to force the name into my head. It just doesn't naturally come with my impression of her. So I'm going to give her a new name, one that feels right, that clicks.

These are the ones I like. Mostly different variations of the same sounding name.
Antari
Ontari
Antara
Ataria
Akari
Atara

These are pronounced like On-tar-ee not On-tair-ee. Do I need to add 2 Rs to make this apparent? And which one do you like? Any particular reason?

Last edited:
I don't think two Rs are neccecary. I read them that way automatically.

My favorites of the batch are Antari, Akari, and Atara. All of them are fine though, in my opinion.

Saigonnus

Auror
Perhaps you might consider an interesting back story on why she has the name Zara. She might hate it, but there was a reason she has it. Perhaps she goes by a nickname?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nomadica

Troubadour
Well I had a friend named Zakari actually, only one I've met so I didn't want to use that. I've only written a page or two so it wont be painful changing her name. Mostly I'm still trying to flesh out the last bit of the plot.

My MC I have named Zara just keeps fighting with me over her name. I'ts a perfectly good name that I worked hard to choose. It has all the qualities that I was looking for in a name for her. To me it sounds feminine yet a hint of bad-ass. But every time I imagine her or someone addressing her, I have to force the name into my head. It just doesn't naturally come with my impression of her. So I'm going to give her a new name, one that feels right, that clicks.

These are the ones I like. Mostly different variations of the same sounding name.
Antari
Ontari
Antara
Ataria
Akari
Atara

These are pronounced like On-tar-ee not On-tair-ee. Do I need to add 2 Rs to make this apparent? And which one do you like? Any particular reason?

I like Akari and Atara best. Maybe you can write a paragraph or so with each name and see how your MC takes to those.

Reaver

Staff

Antari
Ontari
Antara
Ataria
Akari
Atara

These are all cool sounding names. Too bad this one's taken:

Atari_logo.jpg

Nomadica

Troubadour
Lol I actually thought of using that but I didn't want the association to an ancient gaming system.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Ancient?!? Parents time!!? Atari is from my time :confused: And all these new-fangled things like Wii and Playstation, they aint all that. Slaying dragons like Yorgle, Grundle, and Rhindle were no less fun than slaying whatever they have in Skyrim today.

Wow, young ones. I'd shake my cane at you and tell you to get off of my lawn, but I'm not quite that old.

Here there be dragons!

Last edited:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
That's one of the most fearsome dragons ever. It ate every player that ever fired up the game at least once!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
It only looks like a seahorse cause its fat from eating so many adventurers. Trust me, the first time you fire up the game, you will run when you see him ;)

goldhawk

Troubadour

Antari
Ontari
Antara
Ataria
Akari
Atara

What's her shorten name? What did her parents call her? What did her siblings and friends call her? Did she have a nickname? Did she like it?

Names are complicated by society. What people are call has as much to do with people around them as their formal name.

Nomadica

Troubadour
What's her shorten name? What did her parents call her? What did her siblings and friends call her? Did she have a nickname? Did she like it?

Names are complicated by society. What people are call has as much to do with people around them as their formal name.

She had kinda a lonely childhood. Her and her mom were drifters and outcast. No siblings