• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Main Characters

Ulutar

Dreamer
Hi everyone! It occurred to me today that I'll probably end up writing from the perspectives of many different characters - all of different origins and each with their own goals. It's kind of my aim for the reader to not really take sides just because they know more about one character - or one character is featured more. I know for sure that Khyra, the main character I'll be starting with in Book1 - will die before it ends, even though more than a third of the book will be from her point of view. She is a prophet of sorts, and will only have a brief period of contact with my second main character towards the half-way mark. She will return later in the series playing for the opposite team, but I still aim to write her parts in a way that the reader will like her and want her to succeed, whilst at the same time wanting the other characters to do the same. So obviously, not everyone can win, I don't know who does yet but it should be interesting to see what effect it has.

So I was wondering, how is everyone else writing their main characters?

Ulutar said:
So I was wondering, how is everyone else writing their main characters?

For my fantasy, my main character and my viewpoint character are different. Ostensibly it is written in third person past tense, but my viewpoint character speaks in the third person.

As a reader, I want someone in the story that I have a vested interest in seeing succeed or fail. Worlds, in all their convoluted and complex glory can get in the way of a good, character driven story. If I don't have anyone to like or hate, I am not going to like a story without a central character.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner