• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Validating invented English words

HiddenVale

Dreamer
Over the past four years, I have found myself coining many new English words, when writing prose that I wish to imitate (in style) the style of ''The Silmarillion'' and of J.R.R. Tolkien's old "Lost Tales". Most of what has enabled me to do this is my background in studying Latin for the majority of grade-school, because half of all English roots are Latin in origin. So, these are a handful of words that for our sake might as well be considered valid in some way, because of their relation to some already-existing conventional English word or words.

I wish to share them here, because I think they may be useful in fantasy writing, merely for their uncommonness.

• "Aforebrewed" - simple as it sounds; literal or figurative. Cumbersome synonyms of the word's figurative version would be "aforeenkindled" or "aforestirred".
  • "Benumbered" - "made great in number". The added prefix is the same in "bequeathed", "bereft", and "besieged". Probably should just be a poetic term, because while "besiege" and "bequeath" are transitive because of their prefix, this word is not.
    "Numbered" by itself is a different word, meaning "not endless".
  • "Elsetimes" - merely an adverb, meaning "in other times" - similar to the real phrase "often times", in which the two words are so inseparable they might as well be conjoined.
  • "Avauntold" - "told to go away", from the archaic exclamation "Avaunt!" and verb "told".
  • "Homescompany" - could be a word referring to a rich man's/family's group of servants at his/their home, and thus a group beyond the bounds of "family". This is consistent with the pattern of the added "s" in "kinsman" and "swordsmen", a pattern which does not have to do with plurality.
  • "Unarboreal" - "lacking trees", from the Latin word arbor, "tree"
  • "Advene" - "come", consistent with "convene", because just as "convene" comes from Latin convenit, "advene" would come from advenit
  • "Invene" - "come across ____"; a transitive verb, from Latin invenit, which is a word for "finds". Same word-skeleton as "advene" and "convene", mentioned above.
  • Imperity - "the state of an empire being/becoming an empire", a sibling to "Imperial" which is from Latin imperium. Mostly a poetic word.
    [*]"Asundery" - "the state of two entities being sundered", from adverb "asunder" - consistent with a few nouns that also describe state: mystery, misery, and treachery.
    [*]"Anewwrought" - "newly made". Mostly a poetic word.
    [*]"Loed" - "beheld" (passive verb), from the exclamation (and therefore imperative verb) "Lo!".
    [*]"Wolven" - same function as "Elven" and "Dwarven", which come from singular nouns that, like "Wolf", end with the letter F.
    [*]"Unwont" - "not often .... [verb]ing" - from "wont", which means "accustomed....." and "wonted" which means "frequent". Unwont to cease would mean rarely ceasing.
    [*]"Frontiereal" - an adjective; equivalent to the real adjective "Ethereal", but where "frontier" is the location instead of "Ether" (a word for the heavens).
    [*]"Fundament" - "seafloor", or the opposite of the "firmament". In Latin, the roots fund- and firma are antonymous, so it makes sense that their noun-descendants in English would be.

Comment below if prose or poetry has once led you to do this kind of thing!