• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does Third-Person Perspective + Present Tense Work?

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Yes, there are many examples of it. Eg Stephenson's Snowcrash for one. Tense and Pov like everything else in writing comes down to the execution. Execute it poorly, and no, it doesn't work. Execute it skillfully, and it does.

Russ

Istar
It can work, and it has. The question is, like for most things, is it the right tool for what you are trying to achieve, and it is a tool that you currently have the skill or time to employ effectively.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yes, I think it can work just fine if done well. There are plenty of examples of it, especially in recent years. Give it a try and see what you think of the result.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I've been on record as not liking present tense, in any person. But *dang* I forgot Snowcrash. Still my favorite Stephenson novel. Liked it so well, I reckon I plumb forgot it was present tense.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've been on record as not liking present tense, in any person. But *dang* I forgot Snowcrash. Still my favorite Stephenson novel. Liked it so well, I reckon I plumb forgot it was present tense.

It's a great book. Can't decide whether that one or Cryptonomicon is my favorite.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
It's a great book, no doubt. But Cryptonomicon seemed to go by fast.

In all honesty, I'm definitely being overly hard on Cryptonomicon. Snowcrash caught me at the right time in my life. There's a little baggage for me when it comes to Cryptonomicon. I had to run through tons of hoops just to get a copy at an affordable price--no amazon back then, so $40 hardbacks was all I had for years--and when I finally got a hold of it, I don't think it met the expectations I had built up because of the long wait.

One day, I'll give it a fair shake again.