• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Starting....

cliche

Minstrel
I'm not sure whether this happens to any other person or whether it is just me.The story I have in mind is colourful and rich, this daydreaming has led to me to hesitate when I think about starting to write the story. The reason being I am so scared of how the story will turn out (and whether it will live up to expectations) that I do not want to start it. Any advice?

Xanados

Maester
That sounds familiar. I've been planning my story only for a few months and it has many, many pages of documentation. I'm an "architect" writer. I have yet to start it.

I know what you mean.

The only advice I could give is to remember that it is okay to "kill your darlings."

Queshire

Istar
I'm not in a real position to give advice, I often have this very same problem myself, but here's some advice I keep having to give myself.

Just remember to tell yourself that you're not writing you magnum opus, it's ok to settle for less then perfect, and in fact you'll have to. I'm sure tolkein wasn't 100% happy with Lord of the Rings.

Futhermore, don't get too caught up in setting or worldbuilding. Ultimately, all that setting is just fancy dressing for the plot. It's possible to start with building a world and then go for plot, again, from what I know that's just what Tolkein did, but it's absolutly vital that you don't build the world at the expense of the plot.

I know I have a big problem with the second one, so for my latest project I'm focusing on a plot-first approach, establishing WHAT happens then thinking up what is needed to ARRIVE at that what.