• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A Prologue?

Ifinx

Scribe
I am considering writing a Prologue for my novel, but my question is what exactly makes up the prologue? What kind of information is allowed here?

My novel's first chapter is in the showcase section under the name [Chapter One - "Legends"]. I was told that maybe I should take the first part of Chapter one and turn that into the prologue. Then start the story when the bard begins his tale. What is your thoughts?

Always,
Ifinx

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Why do it? If the story doesn't actually start with what you now call Chapter One, why include it? And if it does start there, why not call it Chapter One?

Those are my thoughts on prologues generally.

The Din

Troubadour
I suggest checking out one of the million other threads on prologues... I personally like prologues when they are done right, as in they are used to set the tone for the book to come without info dumping. That being said, after reading the prologue you should have an idea of the world you're stepping into, as in: Is it set in past, present, or future? Is there magic in the world? Is the tale going to be a merry stroll through happy encounters, or a frightful, bloody affair?

For your novel, I'd say you're on the right track. Patrick Rothfuss did much the same thing, and it worked for him. Depends if the rest of the novel will told via the bards tale, or if it is only a small section. IMO, the prologue should be set aside from future chapters, as in different characters or POVs, else there is no reason not to simply call it chapter one.

Ifinx

Scribe
Thanks for the feedback.

@Steerpike In some feedback I got when I posted my first chapter I was advised at maybe rewriting Chapter One with the beginning actually being the prologue with the bard setting up everything to begin his tale, and the Chapter One would be him already inside the telling of the story.

@The Din In the first two paragraphs I started with going into some details about the bard. What he was wearing, where the tavern is, and what he was doing. Some have said that for chapter one it was to early for that kind of info dump. As a prologue would the info dump be alright or should I remove that section and continue on. Possibly give some descriptions of the main characters before starting? Any other suggestions you would have?

Ifinx

The Din

Troubadour
Personally, I don't like it when writers get too descriptive of clothes and the like any time in a book. If you must, have him get into a fight over the gaudiness of them or something. Just make sure its not exposition, its a bit of a turn off, especially in a prologue. Location on the other hand is fine as long as you don't go on to explain every detail of the world while you're at it.

If I were you, I'd consider describing the opening scene from a different POV, as in another patron. Thus you can get away with a lot more description of your MC.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I agree with Din. If you want to describe a little about a scene, it is easier to do that from another perspective, but that's probably not the sort of thing that will strengthen a prologue. I have a piece in my portfolio that has an amazingly long introduction (13 pages) and I realize I have broken every rule, but I wanted to give a background story to a reader. In the first pat, I wrote a short scene where invaders are pillaging a library. Several people who have read this piece commented to me that they enjoyed the library scene and would have liked more to it, while they felt the rest went on too long and was an info dump...... Hope that helps.

San Cidolfus

Troubadour
Strictly speaking, prologues should only be used if you wish to introduce plot elements that are ultimately important to the narrative but which are not immediately vital to the rising action. If your story doesn't have too many twists and turns or other elements peripheral to the rising action, you're better off not laying out a prologue. Getting your narrative moving is more important, and a prologue will often just bog that down.

There are very few instances when a writer should feel the need to explain how things work in their world via a prologue. Illustrate how your world is different over the course of your narrative, through the spectacle of events and the actions of your characters. This will translate to a much smoother, more enjoyable narrative. Nobody opens a work of fiction wanting to learn minutiae of a fantasy world; they want to be entertained. Keep that in mind.

Ifinx

Scribe
Thank you. That will really help me because i didnt really want to write a prologue, but kept being told that maybe i should. I just wanted to make sure.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
In the end, you have to feel good about the decisions you make. If you break a hard and fast rule... do it for a good reason and own the decision. Whatever you write, you should be happy with it and be able to justify whatever decisions you made. It's nice to ask others for help, because they can often see something you are unaware of, but after considering their take on your work, you have every right to disagree. I think every manuscript is its own separate entity too, and what works for one might not work for another. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. If you were inclined to try a prologue, write one and see how it sounds. you can always hack it off later if it doesn't work.

Ifinx

Scribe
In the end, you have to feel good about the decisions you make. If you break a hard and fast rule... do it for a good reason and own the decision. Whatever you write, you should be happy with it and be able to justify whatever decisions you made. It's nice to ask others for help, because they can often see something you are unaware of, but after considering their take on your work, you have every right to disagree. I think every manuscript is its own separate entity too, and what works for one might not work for another. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. If you were inclined to try a prologue, write one and see how it sounds. you can always hack it off later if it doesn't work.

Thank you! That was very kind of you, and it gave me some more courage to fight through these words are paper. :) I try to look at every hint as a possible way to enhance my work. Maybe not always in the way someone else's thoughts were, but it allows me to see something different about it. So again thank you.

Ifinx

gerald.parson

Troubadour
If you don't want to write a prologue, or don't feel your book will or can benefit from one, then don't write one. They can be useful tools, the notion that "why not just label it chapter 1" is plausible in some regards, but that also becomes a formatting issue. You got to do what fits your writing style and your story best.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
DISCLAIMER: This rant has nothing to do with your original question, sorry.

I'm certainly no expert, and I'm sure it shows... but I have been involved in art and art competitions for many years, and the one thing I have always believed in is that I am doing this for me. Sure it's great to win a prize... or make some money from your art... but it's most fulfilling when you put out something you are proud of and feel good about. I love to ask the people here for their opinions, and I have honestly valued every one I've gotten.

HOWEVER Just today I was criticized on deviantart.... and it honestly struck me as unnecessary. I make costumes. If you are interested in seeing what I do, I have pics in my album and in the gallery... and on deviantart... but anyways, some ass-head told me that he was too distracted by one tiny inaccuracy on my replica flintlock pistol to even enjoy the costume...... are you kidding me?

You will never be able to please everyone. Even when you put out something that you think is awesome, and have done painstaking research for, someone will have something negative to say about it. I'm pretty thick-skinned after competing for years, and I think he only made himself look bad by leaving that comment... but it can be discouraging to someone starting out who is trying to get their bearings.....

I recently ruined a novel after reading blogs for a year... and at the end, I didn't even recognize my book. I got so concerned with trying to please an agent, I lost my way..... My advice would be to find a couple people (here or in your personal life) who you can build a trusting relationship with, and get some critiques from them.

Best wishes. I am a pretty tough critic, but if you are looking for one, send me a message. :)

kadenaz

Scribe
Imo, the prologue's aim is to entertain, create suspence and most important make readers ask themselves "how could this have happened?! I need to read more to know it".

Ifinx

Scribe
Thanks. That does really help. I have an idea for a prologue that I am gonna try, and if it doesn't fit or I don't like it. I can always take it out. Thanks for all the positive feedback.