• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Graphic novels vs. Traditional novels

Aleister

Hey everyone!

This is my first post here on Mythic Scribes and I'm going to start things off with a question regarding story telling mediums.

I am currently in the midst of writing a gothic horror fantasy story that uses powerful dark imagery and very elaborate creatures and abominations that I designed and drew.

What I want to know is, when dealing with a story that uses powerful disturbing creatures and scenes to invoke the horror, would you prefer to read it in the form of a graphic novel or a traditional novel? or in other words would you prefer an actual detailed visual of the monster or your own disturbing imaginative mental image? Also which medium would have a bigger impact on you as the reader?

Thanks

Aleister

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I'd suggest you do the story in the medium YOU prefer. Typically I prefer prose to graphic novels but that doesn't mean I won't read a graphic novel either. I do find that medium interesting especially when the art work & story telling combined are top notch.

The reason I'd say "do what you prefer" is because there are bound to be readers out there just like you. Creating your story, the way you envision it, is the best way to deliver your authorial passion through the work.

I can't draw to save my life so unless I worked with a partner then I'm stuck doing prose alone. I am friends with a published author though, who is currently involved in a graphic novel project with a "Magic" card artist. What they've put together so far looks and reads awesome.

Lastly, why not do both? See what works best. Experimentation is key.