• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you format texts?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
You'd think that I'd be able to find this answer via a simple Google search, but I'm coming up empty. In my new WiP, I have two teenagers texting each other. How should I format it?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
There are a variety of ways you could do it. There is a somewhat popular series for teens written entirely as text messages. You can 'look inside' the book on Amazon to see how the author handles it if you like:

Ttyl: Lauren Myracle: 9780810987883: Amazon.com: Books

Steerpike,

Thanks. That's a help.

The author uses this format:

Character 1: statement
Character 2: statement

I think it works for that book because it's done all in texts. Since I'm mixing paragraphs of description and regular dialogue in as well, I'm not sure it would work as well. Though it might (note - not looking for a critique of the lines below. VERY rough draft used used for format illustration):

“Don’t mess with me.” She gave him one last glare before leaving the room.

Downstairs, she plopped onto the couch and pulled her phone from her pocket. A few touches of the screen brought up Jonathan’s number.

Christy: This kid is a nightmare. Save me!

She hit send.

What do you think?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I think that will work OK if you've established that it is a format that indicated texting. I do something similar in my story, but the first time I indicate it is a text:

Anya slumped into her chair and dashed off a text: my life is so over!

The reply came quickly: sucks to be you.

In most cases I try to work it in like that. I think your example is OK, but I think you are right - it doesn't work as well as in the novel I cited.

What about:
“Don’t mess with me.” She gave him one last glare before leaving the room.

Downstairs, she plopped onto the couch and pulled her phone from her pocket. A few touches of the screen brought up Jonathan’s number: This kid is a nightmare. Save me!

She hit send.

I think that works as well, if you've already established it as a format for indicating a text message, and it doesn't require you to pull out of the narrative by having a separate line that says "Christy: <message>"

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I haven't yet established it, but I can easily with that line by adding "...brought up Jonathan's number. She tapped on the keyboard: This kid..."

I think that works. Thanks!

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
In what I'm working on right now I treat text like thoughts and just italicise them and use 'speech' tags. For example.

Sue's phone beeped with a text from Mary. What'cha doing?.

Sue tapped on her phone. Watching TV.

Obviously I make it clear in the narrative before hand that Sue is in the room alone and/or that Mary is not there.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Are you going to have a lot of texts? Using a lot of italics is generally frowned upon as it can be distracting.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Are you going to have a lot of texts? Using a lot of italics is generally frowned upon as it can be distracting.

I don't have too many text. But I think it works because the italics is the character reading the text, so we're hearing their thoughts as they read. As for it being a distraction, I don't think it's any more distracting than any other formatting tool, and it's in line with what a person would expect to see in a book. I mean colons can be distracting too.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Just about anything can be a distraction, but have you read large blocks of italicized text? There's a good reason to minimize it.

I use it for thoughts in my novel, but I try to minimize it.