• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Types of protagonists in fantasy literature

Jess A

Archmage
Hi all,

I thought it might be fun and useful to make a thread on the kinds of protagonists found in fantasy. That is, all kinds of fantasy including contemporary/urban fantasy.

We are all, I assume, fairly wide readers. What sorts of protagonists do you see over and over? What are their traits? Do you find them endearing or annoying, would you prefer to read about a certain type, and what was your favourite? For example, one I come across fairly often is - young woman finds out she has an ability. She is unsure about it, but she eventually learns to use it and becomes powerful. Another is the young boy who discovers he has some other calling. A coming of age story. Lately, I have come across morally grey protagonists, which are interesting. Someone with a dark past and a cynical sense of humour, thrust into being a hero for some reason or other. Often the journey is about the character's growth as well.

Please share below. Please also share your protagonist if you wish!

MadMadys

Troubadour
I know I have a dislike for a lot of the guy and girl duos out there that follow the same pattern. Guy is a loner, strong, silent type who is great in a fight and shows no real interest, outwardly, for the girl to start. The woman, typically always younger but very upbeat, smart or clever, daring for where she comes from is oven at first angry or displeased with the male character. After a series of two or three token events they become great friends and sooner rather than later, lovers.

I dislike it simply because when the two characters meet in the first chapter or second, you know exactly how it will play out. The guy's stony exterior will get chipped away and the girl will put a softness in his heart. Yawn.

Of course any type of Mary Sue character is also thoroughly annoying. It's hard to get behind a character when the writer sets them up to be utterly perfect in every way. It's like watching rich people dealing with rich people problems only instead of money fights they use magic.

Hi,

Since I like my good guys to win my protagonists are mostly the same, good, noble etc. And of course they all follow the hero's journey. But its the baddies that you can really have fun with!

Cheers, Greg.

Jess A

Archmage
Heh yeah...the romance factor can be difficult if written badly, I must agree. I'm not big on romance in general, but I don't shun it in books either. Again, that depends!

Greg - I agree about the baddies! Though I enjoy reformed villains. I think my love of Redwall books started that off.

Shockley

Maester
I like my heroes to be one of two different types:

The powerful-but-cunning warrior who finds himself in a particularly dangerous situation, but knows that his wits and strength can get him out of it. There's some heartache along the way, maybe some betrayal, but it all ends well.

The completely underpowered, average human being who gets sucked into something of immense proportions and terror.

Comes from reading the pulps, I think.

Jess A

Archmage
Shockley - those are always fun, too. With the first, as you mentioned, there needs to be some heartache along the way for it to be gripping and so that we as readers can relate to the character. As for the second - always fun. Almost without fail.

Jess A

Archmage
Knowing what type of fantasy literature you enjoy can save you from investing in and reading the wrong type of book. Fantasy is a somewhat generic term for fiction that contains magic or supernatural elements. Fantasy literature is divided into several different types of depending on what kinds of magic or supernatural elements are used.

Any chance you want to elaborate on that? A pattern of protagonists in various sub-genres, for instance? Is that what you are getting at?

It is indeed generic.

Rullenzar

Troubadour
If you look at past works, the ones that have done well kind of give you a bit of everything. LOTR gives people Frodo and Aragorn, two sides of a coin. You also have the rest in there for comic relief. Then you have Game Of Thrones that literally gives you everything.

I'm not saying books that give you one don't do well. I'm just offering up the idea that giving a bit of everything if you can't decide might be a good way to go if your capable of doing it.

Jess A

Archmage
Rullenzar - that's true too. I have several protagonists in my novel as well.

Gurkhal

Auror
I like deeply flawd heroes most. To give a little thing is that I love Jaime Lannister, Stannis Baratheon and Catelyn Tully but kind of can't stand the Starks (or most of them) in the same series.

Rullenzar

Troubadour
I think most would agree with me that you left out the best character. Tyrion Lannister is hands down best character. I also like snow and will agree on Jaime lannister. Out of the starks I liked Eddard but he died so fast.

Jess A

Archmage
Yeah I liked Eddard as well, and I don't think many people can possibly hate Tyrion! I've only seen the series so far - mistake to watch it before reading the books, because now I won't want to read them until I've forgotten most of the plot.

Flawed is good, as long as it's done well. Sometimes it's a huge pity party.

Jabrosky

Banned
I like protagonists who start out as outcasts from their society but ultimately win people's respect through virtuous deeds. Think of the Disney versions of Hercules and Tarzan as examples. As someone who grew up feeling alienated from society but really craves everyone else's acceptance, I can relate to this kind of character arc on a personal level.

Jess A

Archmage
Yes, they always say you should write from experience, Jabrosky. Disney does have some good examples.