• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sad endings?

Ok, so i'm in the planning stage for a story that would work best (in my mind) if the ending was sad. eg: the planet the character's are on blow's up. would this work? or would it just be depressing? the ending would be heroic. the character's having the knowledge that there is no other option and this is the only path to take. would this make the story satisfying or not?
thank's for all your help :)
(sorry if there's already a thread like this)

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Of course it could work. If the way the story unfolds supports the sad ending then it will be satisfying to most. There are of course people who just can't accept a sad ending. You'll never satisfy them. Look at Romeo and Juliet one of the most well loved tragedies ever or Orthello. As long as you make sure the ending is true and doesn't feel cheep like it was sad for the sake of being sad, I think you'll be fine.

Impatience

Dreamer
I've read some books with sad endings and they had such a good story that it sat okay with me. However, I have read books, like the Darksword Trilogy that each book ended depressing, leaving me to hope for something good to happen to the character in the next one. I got to the end of the series let down because the main character just couldn't catch a break. So I suppose it just depends on how you go about it.