• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Best portable device for writing?

Cheydinhal

Acolyte
I need a portable device that I can use to write when I am out and about, but a laptop is too cumbersome to carry on my person. Would anyone know of a smaller alternative that I can use to write with? and perhaps download ebooks at the same time with? Currently I'm using my iphone 4s but the battery does not last long enough when I am out and about.

I'm not too up with current technology so I'm basically trying to modernise myself.

JCFarnham

Auror
I guess something like a kindle fire would for that? Alternatively steer away from iPhones and you'll get much better battery life.. But it's personal preference I guess.

I write almost exclusively on my HTC one when out an about. And as long as it's at least half charged I never seem to have an issue.

Pen and paper - the batteries never die!

I've tried using my Kindle Fire and (if scale back the screen brightness and put it on Airplane mode) the battery does last for quite awhile. But ... while it's not bad for notes, it's pretty awkward any actual writing (I guess if you're fine with using a phone it would be an improvement).

Anything without a real keyboard will be subpar (in my opinion). If I can't use my computer (out and about or whatever) pen and paper is still my go-to. (Don't forget to use both sides and recycle when you're done :wink:)

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
With Scrivener now out for the iOS, if for some reason my macbook wasn't an option, I'd do an iPad with keyboard attached. While in China recently, my laptop saw about half the work of normal because my wife had her iPad with keyboard. Because I use Scrivener for writing, and I'm on the mac/apple side of things, that's what I'd do. Serious writing? Yeah, I'm laptop, but if pressed to it iPad would work just fine.

iPad battery life is pretty sweet, and if actually trying, it'd be even better.

Pen and paper - the batteries never die!

I've tried using my Kindle Fire and (if scale back the screen brightness and put it on Airplane mode) the battery does last for quite awhile. But ... while it's not bad for notes, it's pretty awkward any actual writing (I guess if you're fine with using a phone it would be an improvement).

Anything without a real keyboard will be subpar (in my opinion). If I can't use my computer (out and about or whatever) pen and paper is still my go-to. (Don't forget to use both sides and recycle when you're done :wink:)

I'll have to agree with you. Portable device? A notebook and pencil is as portable as you can get and gets the job done great.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I use my laptop. I've been considering alternatives, and I've been checking out cheap Windows tablets. They run normal windows but are tablet size. I've been eyeing a ten inch NuVision tablet from the Microsoft store. It runs in at around $250 Canadian and comes with a bluetooth keyboard.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
If I can't use my computer (out and about or whatever) pen and paper is still my go-to. (Don't forget to use both sides and recycle when you're done :wink:)

Pfft, I hate writing on the back. I give them to the kids to color on.

La Volpe

Sage
You could try a netbook, if those are still around? Basically a small-scale notebook. I think some weigh around 500 grams, with 5 inch screen.

DragonGurl

I need a portable device that I can use to write when I am out and about, but a laptop is too cumbersome to carry on my person. Would anyone know of a smaller alternative that I can use to write with? and perhaps download ebooks at the same time with? Currently I'm using my iphone 4s but the battery does not last long enough when I am out and about.

I'm not too up with current technology so I'm basically trying to modernise myself.

I use a kindle with a portable keyboard by iwerkz. It works fine if my laptop is not an option.

I usually write on my laptop or phone (nexus 4, with google drive so I can jump between writing on the two computers).

But I've been looking into the windows surface pro's because they have not just touch-but pressure sensitive screens which allow you to draw directly onto your writing. They also come with blue tooth connected keyboards. My friend has one and if I were looking for a new tablet right now for writing, I think I'd end up getting one.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I've been playing with Scrivener on the iPad, pretty danged sweet, as I use Scrivener on my other computers. So far, I haven't found a bug and it hasn't been out long.

Saigonnus

Auror
I have Microsoft Office on my IPad, works well if I am out and about and don't want/ can't take my laptop with me. Gives me something to during teacher meetings when my input isn't needed. With ICloud or dropbox, and a good amount of megas with my phone, basically I have storage for all my stories if I want, though usually I just work with one or two at any given time, which will fit in the tablet without cloud storage.

Gurkhal

Auror
I hope this don't come along as a bad answer, but I kind of think that a pen and papper combo are thebest device for writing, at least for me.

Saigonnus

Auror
I hope this don't come along as a bad answer, but I kind of think that a pen and papper combo are thebest device for writing, at least for me.

I am sure it works for many people Gurkhal, just not for me. I simply cannot hold a pen for that long in a stretch, so the technological writing is preferable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Hell, I'm lucky to be able to read my handwriting any more, let alone writer's cramp, which just plain sucks, heh heh.

I am sure it works for many people Gurkhal, just not for me. I simply cannot hold a pen for that long in a stretch, so the technological writing is preferable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Kindle Fire, the Logitech bluetooth keyboard (Amazon.com: Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480 for Computers, Tablets and Smartphones, Black (920-006342): Computers & Accessories), the Microsoft Word app, and Dropbox. I can access the file from anywhere with an internet connection, and using the Dropbox app on my computer, the file gets saved locally every time I make a change to the document.

One thing worth noting - MS Word is not available for the Kindle, but it is for the Android, and it's free. What you need to do to get it is download the 1 Mobile Market (or similar app, which gives you access to the regular Android app store), and install it from there. MS Word does work just fine on the Kindle Fire once it's installed.

I have also used my phone and the Dropbox app, but I found the screen to be too small, and the screen keyboard really doesn't work for me when composing.

Tom

Istar
I write on my phone using OneNote. It's fast, easy, and convenient (and inconspicuous if I'm struck by inspiration in the middle of class, haha). My laptop is bulky and slow to boot up/unlock, so it's out of the question for writing on the go. For someone with a slimmer, faster laptop, it might be more doable--tablets are also good if you want to make your writing portable. They have the power and features of a laptop minus the bulk.