• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing podcasts?

Foah

Troubadour
My beloved PC flatlined on me a few days ago following electric surges, and I find myself knocked back to the stone age with pen and paper. While it makes do for a few hours, I've come to the point where I feel like writing the actual storyline is too tedious, and I'm currently in a revising/background checks/map squiggling state.

During normal writing sessions I can't focus with any music or white noise unless it's something like improv jazz/piano. However, now that I don't need to feel 100% focused I'm looking for podcasts or just generally people talking about anything novel writing related. Good production quality (no abundance of background noise, voices don't clip etc) and good rhetoric composure is a must. I can't suffer hour long sessions of a barely audible voice through a built in laptop mic, with every sentence separated by an "eeeeehm". Does anyone have a podcast in mind that they feel has helped them/is interesting in general?

Thanks,
Erik

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
My sympathies for the dead computer. [Backups all okay?]
But on the other thing... I'd go as far as Night Vale. Not anything to do with writing, except I think it is well written and good fun.

Writing Excuses is my go-to podcast.

I've tried listening to some others recommended for writers, but sometimes the voice is a single drone. Writing Excuses feels lively, good interaction between multiple experienced professional writers, and has lots of personality.

Downloading "Mythcreants" and "Writing Excuses" now. Thanks for asking the question in the OP, and thanks to all who responded.

TWErvin2

Auror
A couple I listen to:

Wood on Words (focuses on self-publishing advice, but goes a bit more broad on occasion)

Authorcast (talks about various projects and the writing industry in general, and specific areas of writing/publishing)

Dueling Ogres (is more of a geek/nerd interest podcast, but sometimes interviews authors (comic book, fantasy, etc.) bookstore and comic store owners, etc.)