• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Be honest, how ‘beautiful’ is your protagonist?

Fyri

Inkling
Interesting!

Actually, I found this with vampires too when I was studying them years ago. And fae.

Still, I wonder then, what defines these beings. What are the basic core traits or atmospheres that bind them to their given term? Or are there any?

But! That's a different thread that I don't want to make tonight. XD

To be fair though, these beings do have certain attributes that allow them to be called what they are. This is fantasy and you can do what you want with your world, but how far can you bend the notion of vampire before they are no longer a vampire? How far can we deviate from orcish origins or norms before they are arguably not actually orcs?

Food for thought?
New fantasy writers are definitely taking those original ideas into new and exciting directions! As I’m sure you know 😄

Interesting!

Actually, I found this with vampires too when I was studying them years ago. And fae.

Still, I wonder then, what defines these beings. What are the basic core traits or atmospheres that bind them to their given term? Or are there any?

But! That's a different thread that I don't want to make tonight. XD
I’ve just downloaded a book by Katherine Briggs’s called An Encyclopedia of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies and other supernatural creatures and it looks like it goes into the origins of the folklore. Looks like it’s bursting with info!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Im not sure the way Blake used orc is anywhere near they way tolkien did. To combine three letter is not a remarkable feat. Those borrowing the race are borrowing it from tolkien. And i too have to ask, if you change it enough, at what point is it not an orc?

I believe Tolkien took the term orc from Old English and applied it to a creature of his creation, but maybe orc is still a concept rather than a creature and so maybe anything could be applied to it? But taking the term away from its dark beginnings does potentially take it too far from its meaning. But it’s also fun to make them open coffee shops and be more humanised too.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Tolkien fashioned the term from orcneas, which appear in beowulf. They are like undead creatures. The orcs were is own creation for his story.