• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Book cover artwork DPI

Since you're asking the question, I'm assuming you're self-publishing. Which means you'll likely either go with Amazon or Ingram Spark. The best thing to do then is to check out Amazon's guidelines for the cover => Paperback Submission Guidelines

I'm sure Ingram has the same, but I've never used them. As for Amazon, you will want

file size smaller than 650MB
300 DPI minimum. Advice is not to go above 600DPI, since then the file can become too big and take too long to process
cover must be pdf file

There are a few others, but those are the big ones for you. Ideally you want your pdf with CMYK since that gives the best colors, but RBG works.

Advice is not to go above 600DPI, since then the file can become too big and take too long to process
Speaking from my experience, 300 dpi is usually the suitable resolution for digital printing and you won’t lose image quality. I would never save a file at say ‘450 dpi’. It would be like putting my shoes on the wrong way. It goes up in increments of 300, then 600 and so on.

Rexenm

Inkling
It would be like putting my shoes on the wrong way.
I do this. Got to tie up my one liners. I tried walking for a while like that. I also put my pants on backwards. Just that once however. Shoes are hard. And you can see why the kids are riding scooters not skateboards these days. No more bush hikes for me.

Joe McM

Minstrel
Since you're asking the question, I'm assuming you're self-publishing. Which means you'll likely either go with Amazon or Ingram Spark. The best thing to do then is to check out Amazon's guidelines for the cover => Paperback Submission Guidelines

I'm sure Ingram has the same, but I've never used them. As for Amazon, you will want

file size smaller than 650MB
300 DPI minimum. Advice is not to go above 600DPI, since then the file can become too big and take too long to process
cover must be pdf file

There are a few others, but those are the big ones for you. Ideally you want your pdf with CMYK since that gives the best colors, but RBG works.
Yes, I’m self publishing. Thanks for the information.