• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cottagecore World

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Such a twisted tangent starter. Some might say I am a tangent prodigy. THE Tangent Prodigy.

I can't say I've read much in the way of post-colonial fiction, especially in the SFF sphere. Of the Dutch/Indonesian stories I have read on the subject, I found the tone and rhetoric entirely appropriate, and as far as I could tell the research was proper. Then again, the Netherlands had a profit first, second and third mentality, so it's hard to overstate how awful the nation was. Another thing that limits my personal connection is that my part of the Netherlands wasn't equal to the rest of it until the 1860s, and wasn't even a part of the country before Napoleon. I think my opinion on your example is that the poor research is more egregious than the hatred. If an Indonesian or a Surinamer wishes to write a hate letter to the concept of the Netherlands and the Dutch people, I can understand how that might artistically fit, but if they can't bother to get their own history correct they lose the right to lecture.

Well I think that’s just it, on the last part you wrote - yes, there are some fine works out there that criticise colonialism / imperialism, however, such as the current market and its frothing at the mouth for anything that’s anti-western in sentiment, you are going to get the inevitable hate letter that gets the rounds on social media, and that’s where it can be highly misconstrued too. Even the best and well researched work get misinterpreted all the time. Shakespeare was even at it when he wrote The Tempest, which has numerous anti-colonial sentiment, but I’m not sure the average Globe goer would have necessarily understood that.