• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Creating a Sympathetic Character

Twook00

Sage
Lou Anders recently said that the formula for a good story is: A sympathetic protagonist overcomes a series of increasingly difficult obstacles in pursuit of a compelling goal.

So, what makes a character sympathetic? Here's my list so far, but there has to be others.

• Loss of a loved one (spouse, friend, pet, mentor, etc...)
  • Bullied based on circumstance (obese, poor, disabled...)
  • Rejected (by crush, a job, an institution or club, an editor... :D )
  • Awkward around people
  • Abused/Mistreated/Neglected (either mentally or physically)
  • Having a bad day (car breaks down, repo man comes, dumped by girl/boyfriend, fired, failed a test, suspended from school ...)
  • Impoverished
  • Made a terrible mistake (committed a crime, did something to hurt someone close, etc...)
  • About to die (Diagnosed with cancer, sentenced to death...)

Also, of all the books you've read, can you think of a time when you truly felt sympathy for a character? When did it occur in the book? Harry Potter sticks out as one of the best (first chapter). Also... House Stark (entire freaking series).

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Sympathetic qualities are any that a character can share with a reader. These are not limited to protagonists but may be found in any good character.

For example, a villain may be a sympathetic character (and therefore feel more real) because he has a mother that loves him unconditionally. Maybe she denies the true nature of her villainous son and prefers to still see him as the boy she once knew.

Sympathetic qualities are all around us. They are not shared by all (some unfortunate child may not be raised with the love of a parent) but most people will identify with some of these qualities.

I could probably list hundreds of good sympathetic characters & the qualities that made then sympathetic to me... My list would share similarities with some others and would have differences as well. The idea of sympathy is that it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I do believe though, that for the vast majority of people there are some sympathetic qualities that ring true regardless of other factors. For example, the desire to be loved and accepted transcends cultural, racial, religious, and any other boundaries.

Last edited:

Twook00

Sage
Sympathetic qualities are any that a character can share with a reader.

So... would you say that a character is sympathetic when he/she possesses a quality the reader can identify with? It doesn't necessarily mean they are vulnerable or weak?

No, though it doesn't hurt at times (depending on context and form). What most people identify with is the strength turning to a weakness, kindness being turned against you, and abuse of some form or another. Sure, you might not catch ALL of them rooting for your character, but many people resonate with those.

The more dangerous edge is the sympathetic antagonist... yeesh!

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
So... would you say that a character is sympathetic when he/she possesses a quality the reader can identify with? It doesn't necessarily mean they are vulnerable or weak?

Precisely, with a few additions. Sharing qualities is part of the picture but it goes a bit deeper in my view. A character being active instead of passive aids with sympathy for the most part. Having some ability, expertise, or trait that makes a reader want to be that character can also enhance sympathy. Self perceived inner weaknesses or internal struggles...who among us doesn't have those? Being the underdog. People love rooting for an underdog. The list goes on and on.

Look towards characters that you've loved in literature, film, etc. Try to dig deep into why you found them so intriguing. Sympathy is all around us.

Last edited:

Sheriff Woody

Troubadour
You missed the single most absolute important point of all...

They must want something, and want it badly.

Then make sure they don't get it.

If there was ever a case in which it was best to just write without worrying about formulas, this is it. I think that if you show in detail how someone thinks and feels, and that person isn't a sociopath or a monster, a certain degree of sympathy is inevitable.