• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you still play Video Games?

Do you still play Video Games?

• Yes I play video games

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • I used to play video games but not anymore

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I never was a gamer

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I adore Secret of Mana. It was and still is a favourite of mine, so I play it on my computer with an emulator.

You need to look up Secret of Evermore. It's a shorter game, but it's the same gameplay system with a silly story and a better variety of levels.

Jess A

Archmage
You need to look up Secret of Evermore. It's a shorter game, but it's the same gameplay system with a silly story and a better variety of levels.

I've played it before. It's nowhere near as good! I always liked the dog he had with him, but the game just can't match Secret of Mana. There was Illusions of Time/Gaia as well.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
the game just can't match Secret of Mana.
Secret of Mana is easily the best game of its time if not the best game ever made.

I think my brother still has the cartridge from almost 20 years ago with our characters at Lv. 99 with all of the top weapons. That's the first game I ever played the role of party healer, and the only game that I played through 10 years after its making. I downoaded it on the Wii... I should really play this with my wife. (We played Children of Mana on DS, but it wasn't quite the same.)

A lot of heart was put into the artwork. I still remember the smiley-faced rock (sprite's spell), the centerfold in the magic book (enemy), and the midge mallet (which we abused so often I almost forgot it's actually useful if you get swallowed by and pooped out of a giant snake/worm). My brother, next door neighbor and I played for the first time from start to finish in 4 days during Christmas break 1993. Great times!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I've played it before. It's nowhere near as good! I always liked the dog he had with him, but the game just can't match Secret of Mana. There was Illusions of Time/Gaia as well.

Secret of Mana was really good, absolutely. It has a better gameplay system than the Final Fantasy games I've played, and it's one of the only multiplayer RPGs, yet somehow that didn't hurt the story or the gameplay. It was certainly more epic, and a more serious game. I wasn't criticizing it at all.

I loved Illusions of Gaia. I don't recall Illusions of Time. There was also the Lufia series, I remember enjoying those. Then of course, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, and Super Mario RPG round out the top.

:/ Most of these games were made by the same company. Maybe I should add Shining Force, just to balance out the list.

Are there any of the more recent RPGs that are as good as those?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
In this video, you can watch the battle against Culex in Super Mario RPG:

[video=youtube_share;30DyYkoNH9Q]http://youtu.be/30DyYkoNH9Q[/video]

For those of you who have not played this game, Culex is a secret character and not the final boss of the adventure. However, he is about twice as powerful as Smithy, the final boss, and defeating him is a real challenge!!

The person playing in this video already had Mario, Geno and Peach super armed and carrying an insane amount of firepower, so the battle looks easier than it really is =)

I love that game...

danr62

Sage
Secret of Mana! Yeah!
Chrono Trigger! Wohoo!

Now, have any of you played Tales of Phantasia? Now that was a good game!

I might have to go load up SNESX on my computer after reading this thread.

Jess A

Archmage
Secret of Mana is easily the best game of its time if not the best game ever made.

I think my brother still has the cartridge from almost 20 years ago with our characters at Lv. 99 with all of the top weapons. That's the first game I ever played the role of party healer, and the only game that I played through 10 years after its making. I downoaded it on the Wii... I should really play this with my wife. (We played Children of Mana on DS, but it wasn't quite the same.)

A lot of heart was put into the artwork. I still remember the smiley-faced rock (sprite's spell), the centerfold in the magic book (enemy), and the midge mallet (which we abused so often I almost forgot it's actually useful if you get swallowed by and pooped out of a giant snake/worm). My brother, next door neighbor and I played for the first time from start to finish in 4 days during Christmas break 1993. Great times!

Best!

We have our cartridge too, but the SNES probably doesn't work. Pretty sure we got it as a second-hand from a video store some 20 years ago too. I downloaded it via an emulator on my computer. It's on the Wii, but they never released it as a gameboy game - I take my Gameboy on the plane with me when I travel, sometimes 16-hour-long trips or long airport stints - so I was very sad when they didn't release it for it. Apparently it's on the iPhone? My brother has it! Insane! I do not have a smart phone so cannot get it in a mobile form.

The artwork and the music are amazing.

I did not like Children of Mana anywhere near as much. I like being able to travel from place to place, getting levels up and seeing new artwork, and Children of Mana was too easy. Children of Mana was entertaining enough - I own it as well - but nothing matches Secret of Mana.

I loved Illusions of Gaia. I don't recall Illusions of Time. There was also the Lufia series, I remember enjoying those. Then of course, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, and Super Mario RPG round out the top.

Gaia and Time are the same game I think. One was a US release, the other Europe/Australia. Though I think Australia released it as Gaia but we had Illusions of Time - not sure why. I played some of the old Final Fantasy but the only recent one I liked was 9 - 7 was OK but I am too impatient for games which involve going into a battle.

Palladion

Acolyte
I started playing when I was very young, sometimes I can't even remember parts of old games I had played through as a child. To this day i still play a lot though being in college has restricted the amount I can play. Right now I mostly collect though I play as a hobby and I hope to eventually be able to do some writing for a video game company. :) Gaming is definitely my passion along with writing.

I did for a while. Then something happened.

I was playing a Duke Nukem game and one of the features was that if you threw money at strippers, they would flash you. I tried it, and they did.

But as I sat there I discerned that dozens of virgin computer programers, high on Red Bull, sat around giggling one night saying, "I'll bet I can get the video company to let me research strippers..."

I thought to myself, "Myself, what's the matter with this generation? Instead of going out on their own, getting looped on agave tequila, chatting up some bike chick named 'Bambi' or some such, I had no corporation to underwrite these seven days and six nights debauched madness. And when I stumble out of here--wherever 'here' is--and Bambi's screaming at me for mistakenly crawling in with her roommate on that twisted third night, no expense account limousine is going to drive me to work. I have to spend a few grand to get this Colt 1911 customized, and you can bet no professional security team is going to protect my hide..."

Then I shot the TV screen, and the Play Station flew across the room, and I never played again.

Last edited:

Shockley

Maester
I played video games religiously until the moment marathon-reading the Heimskringla became a regular part of my daily life.

I voted that I don't play them anymore, but that's not accurate. I'll turn on a game that has degraded to nothing more than mechanics for me (Crusader Kings, Victoria, any Total War game) and just click around while listening to recorded lectures, podcasts, radio, etc. So I don't really *play* them, I just use them as a method to kill the monotony of sitting down and hearing someone talk for several hours.

WyrdMystic

Inkling
I did for a while. Then something happened.

I was playing a Duke Nukem game and one of the features was that if you threw money at strippers, they would flash you. I tried it, and they did.

But as I sat there I discerned that dozens of virgin computer programers, high on Red Bull, sat around giggling one night saying, "I'll bet I can get the video company to let me research strippers..."

I thought to myself, "Myself, what's the matter with this generation? Instead of going out on their own, getting looped on agave tequila, chatting up some bike chick named 'Bambi' or some such, I had no corporation to underwrite these seven days and six nights debauched madness. And when I stumble out of here--wherever 'here' is--and Bambi's screaming at me for mistakenly crawling in with her roommate on that twisted third night, no expense account limousine is going to drive me to work. I have to spend a few grand to get this Colt 1911 customized, and you can bet no professional security team is going to protect my hide..."

Then I shot the TV screen, and the Play Station flew across the room, and I never played again.

Thats not true. I call shannanigans!

I play video games. I like it when their heads pop. Seriously though, I like the puzzle - they're like more involving crosswords :D

Chilari

Staff
Shockley: I do that. There's a podcast series I listen to and since writing or reading means I can't pay attention to the podcast, and sitting doing nothing is no fun, I play Minecraft. Doesn't take much attention - no words to distract and I know what I'm doing quite thoroughly due to hundreds of hours playing it - so it works nicely.

Ravana

Istar
If by "video games" you mean "computer games," yes, I still play them. Mostly FRPGs and 4X… the latter I never grow tired of, no matter how often I've played them. (Which probably comes as no surprise to anyone who's seen me discuss world-building.… ;) ) I no longer play arcade games, and have long since stopped played arcade-style home games (i.e. console games).

And as far as continuing to play them, I probably always will. You have to realize: I started playing arcade video games when the only games available were Pong and Starship 1. I started playing console games on the Atari 2600–when it hit the market–and last played them on the Atari 5200. (For both categories: my reactions were never all that good to begin with, and have only gone downhill since. The last arcade game I was reasonably good at was Tempest. Though my buddies and I could really rock Gauntlet. Oh, for the days.…) I started playing online games when the options were Star Trek and ADVENT. ("You're in a maze of twisty little passages, all the same"–flashbacks, anyone? :D ) I played Star Trader on the TRS-80, and fell in love with, and got really good at, Elite when I got my first Mac. (For some reason, I find Oolite much harder to play… probably because the computers keep getting faster while I keep getting slower.) Even before that, I fell in love with Wizardry, when I could play it on the Macs at school. (I still kinda miss its straightforward simplicity, truth to tell.)

So, yeah, if I haven't broken the addiction in thirty-five-plus years, I probably ain't never gonna. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny because now I'm really looking at all the time I've been wasting on video games. I know I just play them for recreation but I think sometimes I put that as a higher priority than working on my novels. So I am really trying to cut back the amount of time I play them.