• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does anyone know all the weaknesses of Lycanthropes

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Vampire blood.

Decapitation, severe physical destruction.

Another Werewolf.

Silver Nitrate.

Fire.

And maybe a bunch of other stuff I could make up.

Is Belladonna and wovlesbane the same thing? If not, then Belladonna too.

Last edited:
Belladonna and wolfsbane are both poisonous plants but are not in the same family. Belladonna is part of the deadly nightshade family - which also includes potatoes and tomatoes. I believe belladonna has wide use in the pharmaceutical industry.

Wolfsbane is an aconite as the OP points out, and it makes me laugh a bit that wolfsbane gets used to kill werewolves, because aconites will basically kill anyone, they’re extremely poisonous. Wolfsbane gets its name because it was used to kill wolves when they were considered a pest to livestock, and it later became linked to folklore in killing werewolves because of that history - but you shouldn’t even touch an aconite without gloves in case you touch anywhere near your face, mouth, eyes. There are two main aconites - wolfsbane and monkshood.

I think silver is more creative though. Or iron gets used a lot to deter faeries, could also work against werewolves? That, and you know, daylight.

Silver, decapitation, and burning are the standard solution to most things monster.

An interesting option I've come across is to get the lycantrope to eat a piece of clothing from an innocent child. It's supposed to cure the turning into a wolf part.

Jadink6

Acolyte
Vampire blood.

Decapitation, severe physical destruction.

Another Werewolf.

Silver Nitrate.

Fire.

And maybe a bunch of other stuff I could make up.

Is Belladonna and wovlesbane the same thing? If not, then Belladonna too.
Belladonna is nightshade

Jadink6

Acolyte
Silver, decapitation, and burning are the standard solution to most things monster.

An interesting option I've come across is to get the lycantrope to eat a piece of clothing from an innocent child. It's supposed to cure the turning into a wolf part.
Thank you, I did not know that

Azul-din

Troubadour
Here's something that came up in a novel I wrote about Werewolves. Human years vs Wolf years. In wolf form, the lycanthrope ages as a wolf or dog ages- that is , about seven years for a human year. Now, if the werewolf 'lives' one day a month, the two age at about the same rate (do the math). But suppose some wicked arch mage decided he would like a werewolf army, and decided that they should be able to transform on command. How long would it take before both wolf and man died of old age? My answer was only a few years before they both became too old to be warriors.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We have a ton of shapeshifters, therian, including wolves. We don't do the silver thing and the only reason they're associated with the full moon is because they're easier to see when it's brighter at night.

What we do to balance them is we give them limited memories, because they're essentially animals that turn into people. Only the strongest, the alphas, kings, and queens, can remember nearly as far as a regular human or plan ahead more than a day or two. Regular, run of the mill therian suffer for living very much in the now, like the animal cousins they seem. And because of this they are very much treated as lesser by other preternatural races, like vampires and wizards.