• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does Anyone write Magipunk or Gaslamp Fantasy?

Carolyn

Dreamer
So I've been writing a serial that I thought was really unique, only to find out that magipunk & gaslamp fantasy come closest to what I've created. I was actually very happy to learn this. I'm having a great deal of fun writing it, and I was hoping to find others here who write in a similar genre/subgenre.
If that's you, how did you get started, and what's your favorite part of writing this kind of tale?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I do not and its not in my future plans. Cthulhu is kind of gas lamp so its out there.

Yes I am dabbling with two story ideas set in the real world, with one during the Victorian industrial revolution, and the other, of which I still describe as gaslamp, set during the regency period in England too. Both are what I would consider gaslamp and not magipunk, and both are along the lines of historical fantasy with magic and fantasy races rather than it being about technology as being inherently part of the fantasy plot.

Thou hast jarred the pitiful excuse for a thing I call my memory.
I had a dream about trains that I was spinning into a steampunk/magipunk thing that might have ended up a boardgame and a book and completely forgot about it until now.

Gurkhal

Auror
I write, or I try to write, essentially fantasy stories set in settings inspired by the long 19th century (1789-1923-ish). I am very happy to see this thread as that makes me feel not to alone with this focus on my, attempted, writing.

What got me started was that I was making no progress in writing other kinds of fantasy settings and that I had an interest in this period, and when attempting to write it, I suddenly started to make progress. Hence I decided to put my eggs in the basket that I was able to carry and from there it grew.

My favorite part is the the ease of inspiration I can find outside of the fantasty literature field. There's so much in terms of books and movies that I don't know where to stop and it offers me both oppertunities to visit, somewhat, traditional fantasy topics as well as explore topics and themes that I don't think normally works very well in a medieval-esque setting.

There's some fantasy in this kind of setting or at least with an eye towards adding industrialization to fantasy, like the "Iron Kingdoms" setting and so on, but generally its a criminally, almost, obscure genre.