• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Finding Markets

pmmg

Myth Weaver
So, if you had a bunch of short stories you wanted to get published in paying markets, what you look at to find them?

Are there any sites that might post lists of publishers looking for submissions that you currently use?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Bumping back to the top, cause it got approved behind a lot of other posts.

Mad Swede

Auror
Depends what you mean by paying markets. None of the magazines I've come across accept one submission consisting of several stories at the same time from the same author. Most traditional publishers won't take an anthology of short stories until you as an author have shown that you can write a reasonably successful novel. So what you need to do is submit one short story at a time to the magazines and see what happens - remember that the magazines will only consider one story at a time and most have a quarantine period between submissions. Note also that most magazines (on line or on paper) don't count as paying markets for things like SFWA membership because they don't pay enough.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think my introduction misled you a little. The question is, how would I find a good list of which places are accepting submissions. There used to be sites like Ralan's and story pilot that would act as a vehicle to let publishers announce they were looking for submission, and writers could go find them. Now, I think they are both gone. What would I look at to find those magazines I should submit to?

The multiple story part was not meant to mean looking to sell them all at once to the same place.

SWFA now requires a body of paid work equal to, or greater, than $1000. It used to be different. Does not matter where the $1000 comes from. I sell a 1000 $1 stories, or one $1000 story, I can apply. --But....I dont care about them.

(Oops, they also have a lower tier membership, so I need $100 in sales, not $1000 to join with that).

Last edited:

Mad Swede

Auror
All the big magazines (Clarkesworld, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Asimovs, F&SF et al) are open for submissions. Som are many of the smaller ones. As for the SFWA, you should care. They have a monthly list of markets open for submissions.

Ned Marcus

Maester
So, if you had a bunch of short stories you wanted to get published in paying markets, what you look at to find them?

Are there any sites that might post lists of publishers looking for submissions that you currently use?
Yes! The best one is Submissions Grinder. Use the search function and filters to find what you're looking for. If you sign up for a free account, you can set notifications for when magazines you're interested in open for submissions. There are literally hundreds of magazines listed there.