• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Five Common Problems

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
There is no way any reasonable person can fail to "get" what we're talking about, and the context in which statements are made. Taking Mythopoet's statement as one of universal principle rather than a comment on writing rules is just ridiculous.

When did I take Mythopoet's statement as one of universal principle rather than a comment on writing rules?

My entire response to the "there are no absolutes" statements was meant to be in the context of writing rules.

Maybe I should have written:

Saying that there are no absolutes in writing is the same thing. "There are no absolutes in writing" is an absolute statement about writing. Either it's true and breaks itself or it's not true because other absolutes about writing exist.

I really don't feel that the "in writing" adds a lot, but apparently it does...?

Far from supporting your statement of a personal insult, this last post just underscores my original statement that you don't think about what you're responding to before responding or else are being disingenuous. Those are the only explanations for your continued mischaracterization and misreading of posts.

Really dude?

I respond to a comment that basically says "there are no absolutes" with a condemnation of that statement. You say, "No one said that 'there are no absolutes.'"

I still say, "Huh?"

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I think the best advice for newbie writers is to question authority... intelligently. To break the "rules" you first have to understand them. They're training wheels, and they exist for a reason. Experienced writers break them, and it works for them because they know how to break them. That's the point Ol' Chuck is trying to make - new writers don't know how to break the rules yet, so they just end up making a mess.

So, learn the rules, then question the rules. Understand the rules. Then break them into smithereens!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
When did I take Mythopoet's statement as one of universal principle rather than a comment on writing rules?

My entire response to the "there are no absolutes" statements was meant to be in the context of writing rules.

Maybe I should have written:

Saying that there are no absolutes in writing is the same thing. "There are no absolutes in writing" is an absolute statement about writing. Either it's true and breaks itself or it's not true because other absolutes about writing exist.

I really don't feel that the "in writing" adds a lot, but apparently it does...?

Really dude?

I respond to a comment that basically says "there are no absolutes" with a condemnation of that statement. You say, "No one said that 'there are no absolutes.'"

I still say, "Huh?"

Brother.

I'll pass on just repeating what I previously said. If that's really how you've read the progression of the thread, I don't know what to tell you except that your reading is not at all reasonable. Maybe that's the source of some deal of disagreement.

At this point, I'm feeling the same way about you.

But only one of us is correct.

3c4e2a4e5975459dfcf249b73b26a3e4_500.gif

kayd_mon

Sage
This thread has reinforced the notion that reading a blog for writing advice is good for little more than arguing about it on a message board.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
OK, so I just read the article and I agree with elements of it.

I don't always do this, but if something doesn't get my attention by the first page, I move on. Maybe I'm not patient, but I've read dozens of samples on my Kindle I just put aside after reading the first page or two. If the style, the characters, the world, something doesn't stand out to me, then there are so many books I want to read. I'll go read them. Not to say these books that don't interest me are bad, they're just not my thing.

Over-writing can sometimes be a problem for newer writers, I suppose. They want to sound interesting, educated, whatever, and may put style over substance. I don't know. I sometimes can deal with style over substance myself, so I don't see this being a major problem for me. I read to be entertained. If the writing entertains me for whatever reason, I'm happy. I was thoroughly entertained by Prince of Thorns when we read that for our reading group. Others didn't like it. So it goes.

Having stuff happen is also very important. This doesn't have to mean exploding heads or car crashes, but yeah, something. People interpret this different ways though. Some may not perceive characters plotting or discussing events as "something happening." Others see that as a lot happening.

If I could give one rule to live by as a fantasy writer (or genre writer in general) is this: be entertaining. Whatever thing you do as a writer to be entertaining, do that. If you asked most average readers why they read, they'd probably say the following:

1. For fun
2. For relaxation
3. For escapism
4. For education

So do one of those. Or all those. Just do it in a way that makes you proud. If it doesn't make you proud, keep doing it until it does.

That's been my writing journey anyway.

Last edited:
Hi,

And I think I'd add to Phil's rule slightly. Most important thing for writers is to enjoy it. Enjoy the writing and enjoy what they're writing. My thought is that if you the writer enjoy what's pouring off your keyboard then there's a good chance other people will too.

Cheers, Greg.