• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Foreign Language Markets for Fantasy Short Stories

Ned Marcus

Maester
Does anyone know of any foreign language markets for fantasy short stories (or SF)? I've found one list, which is not bad, but I'm sure there are more magazines out there. It's a bit tricky doing searches. I've tried some in Spanish, but haven't found much so far.

I think it's best to sell stories to English language magazines first, but once you've sold a story, then selling for translation into other languages seems a good idea. Here's a link to a list of foreign language markets (at SmithWriter.com) that mostly accept short stories in English.

Any others?

Ned Marcus

Maester
I suspected I wouldn't get many replies :)

If anyone reading this in the future can share some newly opened markets, it would be appreciated!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
This would not be up my alley, but there are many who don't have English as a first language here. Maybe they have some notions.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
The market for short stories is near zero, full stop. Getting published in a language market other than one's own begins to require the use of integral calculus.

Mad Swede

Auror
You didn't get a reply from me because no Swedish publisher takes a short story in anything other than Swedish, Norwegian or Danish (and sometimes Finnish). You'll find the same principle applies in the English language market - do the translation first, then try to sell it.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Yes. I neglected to say that. Mad Swede is quite right. You're going to have to pay to have the translating done, or else be fluent enough to write in that other language.

Is there in Sweden a short story magazine for fantasy? Idle curiosity.

Mad Swede

Auror
Yes. I neglected to say that. Mad Swede is quite right. You're going to have to pay to have the translating done, or else be fluent enough to write in that other language.

Is there in Sweden a short story magazine for fantasy? Idle curiosity.
There is still one Swedish language fantasy magazine, called Enhörningen. I say Swedish language, because it is a Finnish magazine which publishes in Swedish.

Ned Marcus

Maester
You didn't get a reply from me because no Swedish publisher takes a short story in anything other than Swedish, Norwegian or Danish (and sometimes Finnish). You'll find the same principle applies in the English language market - do the translation first, then try to sell it.
For Sweden, that's true. I understand that getting stories translated first is best, but some publications in some countries do translate. If they're prepared to offer this service, then why not submit stories to them?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Why not? Surely any sales are good.

Sure, but I would never know if a translation was good or not, and have no knowledge of foreign markets. For me, the learning curve would be great. For me to help others, just don't have the experience to help.

Secretly, I just posted to give this one another chance to be seen by some of our non-English first members.