• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hi, friends! What is Young Adult

Krizzirk

Minstrel
I mean, I went to a bookshop, and saw YA section. Besides them is fantasy section(and scifi too). Arent they the same? Whats the difference between a fantasy and YA. I didnt bother to read them abit, silly me, but based on the cover design and intro at the back, I dont understand why they are separated

I think you’ve explained it it the title there, young adult is a…young adult. I’m terms of fiction it’s usually books intended for a younger audience with an age range of 18-25. Young adult examples of fantasy include The Hunger Games, Eragon, The Dark is Rising, Harry Potter to an extent…

Krizzirk

Minstrel
Yes. But I think, i just think would there be no need to differentiate them apart by shelves categories with fantasy

Last edited:

Krizzirk

Minstrel
I think you’ve explained it it the title there, young adult is a…young adult. I’m terms of fiction it’s usually books intended for a younger audience with an age range of 18-25. Young adult examples of fantasy include The Hunger Games, Eragon, The Dark is Rising, Harry Potter to an extent…
Ok I got it now, epic fantasy is intended for 'epic' reader :D

‘Young adult’ is a very lucrative market in the fantasy writing world. It’s all about age appropriateness and what speaks to a younger age group. YA books nearly always have main characters who are of young adult age (18-25) and often contain coming of age themes, such as growing into oneself, romance, what a healthy relationship looks like, contraception etc. things that are entirely appropriate for a young adult to be interested in and read about. They’re also faster paced and full of drama and character driven arcs.

Adults can certainly read YA books, and young adults can certainly read adult books, it’s all about what an age group is going to be interested in reading about. An older adult might find reading a YA book too immature in themes or prose style.

‘Young adult’ is a very lucrative market in the fantasy writing world. It’s all about age appropriateness and what speaks to a younger age group. YA books nearly always have main characters who are of young adult age (18-25) and often contain coming of age themes, such as growing into oneself, romance, what a healthy relationship looks like, contraception etc. things that are entirely appropriate for a young adult to be interested in and read about. They’re also faster paced and full of drama and character driven arcs.

Adults can certainly read YA books, and young adults can certainly read adult books, it’s all about what an age group is going to be interested in reading about. An older adult might find reading a YA book too immature in themes or prose style.
Perhaps a bit late, but I was under the impression that YA was (bizarrely, I know) for a teen audience, with characters aged 12-18.

Perhaps a bit late, but I was under the impression that YA was (bizarrely, I know) for a teen audience, with characters aged 12-18.
I can see your logic here, however, would you consider a twelve year old to be a young adult? I see a twelve year old as more a child. An eighteen year old isn’t going to be interested the same things as a twelve year old, generally speaking, and I suppose it’s about appropriateness - many YA books will have romantic or sexual content, because that’s what young adults are interested in 😉 that’s not appropriate for a twelve year old to be reading about.

I can see your logic here, however, would you consider a twelve year old to be a young adult? I see a twelve year old as more a child. An eighteen year old isn’t going to be interested the same things as a twelve year old, generally speaking, and I suppose it’s about appropriateness - many YA books will have romantic or sexual content, because that’s what young adults are interested in 😉 that’s not appropriate for a twelve year old to be reading about.
That's true. I don't actually consider teens to be young adults, I'd just heard the 12-18 range thrown around quite a bit in regards to YA.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
That whole teen period is full of changes for people. The growth of our interests and maturity from 12-18 is way steeper than say 20-30. That makes for a narrow target I would think. I dont know that I could write for YA and stay in the boundaries. And it may be, the older I get, the less tuned in I will be.