• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to break into the editing business

Disclaimer: I wasn't sure where to post a question like this, and this heading seems to encompass pretty much everything, so if it's in the wrong place I apologize.

Getting to my question requires a little background. I'm seventeen years old, and will turn eighteen in three months, so the time has come for me to begin seriously thinking about my life moving forward. I love writing, enjoy editing and proofreading, and have been told I'm good at both. Ideally, this is where I would like my career to be (world-famous writer would be great, but decently-paid editor works too) but I don't know where to begin. I've heard that the best way to enter the market is to have connections. I've also heard that a large portion of it is luck. If anyone has stories about how they broke in or advice on how I can, I would greatly appreciate if you shared it.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm speculating a little, here. But to get into editing, I would think good college majors include Writing, Journalism and Marketing, and you'd want to start with an internship at a publishing company. You'd also want to attend a college that has publishing companies in the area.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Your best bet would be to ask editors. There are many sites for editors on the web, and a number of those actually have articles on your exact question. Take a look around, you'll find what you need.