• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is such a thing possible? (And make the character still likable)

So what I'm (attempting to) do with my two main characters.
I'm trying to lay bear their traits that aren't exactly 'bad' out and out, but they're certainly...negative. I'm talking things like 'oh, this character is obviously a little high strung' kind of thing. I want to reveal to the reader that these characters have room to grow on a personality front, BUT I want their positive traits to shine through at the end of it.

I personally enjoy writing these two characters, and it's going to be fun making them 'antagonize' eachother. But I want the reader to see their good traits just as much as the bad ones. If that makes sense, I just kind of want their negative traits to be more prominent in their introductory chapter. Just to give the characters that 'ok, you're an ass, but it's clear you have room/intent to grow' feeling. Since the whole point of the plot is them overcoming their shortcomings and growing (as well as growing closer to eachother over time) as people.

Is there a way I can reveal their negative sides while still leaving a more 'wholesome' impression of the character?

Female Lead:
+ Outgoing/Social
+ Willing to Experiment to find a solution.
+ Thinks differently from other Kitsune in regards to humans. (Not really relevant until later)
+ Forward thinking/Will try anything once if it sounds fun enough (Again cause Kitsune)
- Can tend to be high strung when in a hurry.
- Can have tunnel vision which hinders her ability to solve a problem quickly.
- Does not like being talked down to or told not to do something.
- Bad first impressions tend to 'stick' to her, it is very hard to change her mind sometimes.

Male Lead:
+ Very Energetic and chill with most people
+ Very much a work smarter not harder kind of problem solver (the opposite of the female lead)
+ Traditionalist, but to a fault. (see negatives)
+ Willing to respect those who prove their worth, even if they don't align with his group's rules.
- Not outright stated at any point, but he does have the "failings" of someone with ADHD.
- Does not feel that his 'trade' (being a thief) is an appropriate place for women.
- Very quick to anger over ultimately minor things. (often forgetting what he was angry about minutes later)
- Very 'old school' when it comes to the work place and such.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Initial impression: Apart from the male leads occupation (thief) and apparent contradiction in work ethic ('work smarter not harder' verses 'old school' when it comes to the workplace) both seem fairly normal.

Initial impression: Apart from the male leads occupation (thief) and apparent contradiction in work ethic ('work smarter not harder' verses 'old school' when it comes to the workplace) both seem fairly normal.
I mean the idea is that their personalities will clash a bit at first (especially the traditionalist vs opportunist) and then warm up to eachother later.
In my first draft of the story they for some reason got along instantly so I had to revise them some. I still think they'll 'click' in a short amount of time, but I want the initial rivalry to last longer.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I mean the idea is that their personalities will clash a bit at first (especially the traditionalist vs opportunist) and then warm up to eachother later.
In my first draft of the story they for some reason got along instantly so I had to revise them some. I still think they'll 'click' in a short amount of time, but I want the initial rivalry to last longer.
Simplest way I see offhand is for the female lead to see the male lead at work on their first encounter and take moral issue with it (bad first impression combined with being talked down to when the male lead attempts to justify his actions.)

Side note: given his occupation and temperament, it seems to me the male lead would have a substance abuse issue as well, be it alcohol or drugs.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Write them true, and all of that will come out as it goes. That people attracted to each other get along great is not unusual. I can overlook a lot if I am infatuated.

Traditionalist does not usually get positioned versus opportunist. I would not think them opposites.

It sounds like classic enemies to lovers. It would be boring from my perspective to read about someone without any flaws. Lots of writers, in fact most writers do this with their characters. Flaws also leave room for your character to grow.

Would Jane Eyre be as special a book if Mr Rochester didn’t have his flaws? No.

Sarah J Maas does a classic enemies to lovers with Rhysand and Feyre in her ACOTAR fantasy series.

They're actually pretty minor negative character traits in my opinion. So go for it and write them. You'll be fine.

You can have much more flawed characters which still turn out fine. And even if they don't, they can still be likeable. It's amazing what people will follow along with. I mean, when you step back and think about it, being an actual thief is probably a lot worse than being traditional about how you view a workplace. And no one cares about that in stories.

They're actually pretty minor negative character traits in my opinion. So go for it and write them. You'll be fine.

You can have much more flawed characters which still turn out fine. And even if they don't, they can still be likeable. It's amazing what people will follow along with. I mean, when you step back and think about it, being an actual thief is probably a lot worse than being traditional about how you view a workplace. And no one cares about that in stories.
I actually get that, there's this character in a game I'm playing, he's a goober, and a scammer, and he makes ya want to punch him every time he talks, but at the end of the day, he's that one guy you go drinking with to have a good time. He's pretty much that 'dude we're buds and all but WHY are you like this?' friend. Where at the end of the day you're still buddies, but yeah, he absolutely ain't a saint lol His english voice actor killed it I think.