• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Lost My Way

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
So, I made a pretty common mistake in that I had a pretty solid outline in my WIP and then, for whatever reason, it wasn't working for me anymore so I veered off the path. Now I've hit a brick wall so to speak. I don't think of it as writer's block, since I'm not having trouble thinking of other scenes and other POVs that I'm currently working on. I'm a pretty linear writer though and I don't like to skip ahead if it's avoidable.

I think I have maybe 3 options:

1. Go back and rewrite the scene where I really started to veer.

2. Delete what I've come up with, make a new mini-outline and follow that.

3. Just write some "placeholder" stuff and come back and change it later.

I have basically two major POV characters in my story and one seems to be trucking along better than the other. Should I just go back to my other stronger POV character and go with him for the time being? Or should I do one of these three options I've listed (or something else)?

It's kind of ironic that I don't believe in writer's block, but I'm having this problem. I think this is more of a "I lost my way" sort of thing, than a block.

If you want your book to be balanced between the POVs, then you really can't ignore one for a significant amount of time until their "boring bits" are through. If balance is not a concern of yours, then by all means do so. I think Sanderson did this effectively in Way of Kings with his "boring" characters (the thief/librarian girl).

On the other hand, is the reason you write linearly a preference or a requirement? If it is a preference, maybe it might help you to get out of your comfort zone so to speak.

Ultimately, everything in a story is "first draft" and on the chopping/reworking block no matter how established it is. If something feels awkward, then you are must fix it at some point. The choice is yours whether this is now or in the future.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I think my linear writing is just a preference. I think breaking out of my comfort zone would be good. It's not exactly that I think these parts I'm writing currently are boring, I just think it's sort of going somewhere that is going to be hard to connect to my overall plot. So I'm thinking probably re-writing some POV chapters would be a good idea for me at this point or possibly jumping a bit ahead and then working backwards.

I'm reading Way of Kings now and I like the chapters with the scholarly woman so far, but I agree that Kaladin's chapters seem stronger overall.

Right, so...to explain a little about me. I use inappropriate words in chat and speech (but hopefully not my official writings) to describe what I'm thinking because they make sense to me. I didn't mean to imply yours was boring (although that could have been one of the issues you were facing--I am glad it is not), and I also did not mean to imply that whats-her-name's chapters in Way of Kings was boring either. In fact, I really liked her, but well, this isn't a spoiler, but she doesn't really have much to do.

I think of Way of Kings as an introduction to the series (which has yet to be written!). ...in fact, I wrote a review of it in my blog....

Anyway, I think you should do both: rewrite your POV scenes and jump ahead a little bit too. Stretch your writing muscles and you may be able to surprise yourself. I guess I should probably try to write something in a linear fashion to stretch my linearity writing muscles :p With everything but flash stories, I jump more than a frog in the writing of it.

JadedSidhe

Minstrel
A couple of questions before I get to my suggestion.

Exactly why wasn't the planned path not working for you?

From the point you veered off path to the point of (or maybe a little before) your brick wall, do you like what happened in the story line? Do you like it better than what you had planned? Is there a place after the veering that you start getting the 'mehhh' I don't know about this' feeling?

If you like what you have more than the planned path, go from there with the 'What If' game. If there is a point in the veered path that you aren't thrilled with, start there.

When you're done, you'll have good notes to make a mini-outline. It might turn out that it will connect with your overall plot better than you initially thought, or you can tweak it so it does.

If you decide you don't like where the mini-outline takes you, go back to the main outline and figure out why it wasn't working and play 'What If' to see if there's another path that will take you where you want to go.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
@Zero Angel: Thanks again for the feedback. I think I'll try what you suggested and see if that works. I'll have to see how Way of Kings continues. I'm a bit disappointed that the character you're talking about (can't think of her name!) doesn't do much. I'll try to make sure I don't let my character not do anything.

@JadedSidhe: I think my planned path sort of fell out from under me. I think I started to ignore the outline because I was writing some good stuff without it and then I thought I didn't need it anymore. I've given the "What If" advice before to other people, but I guess sometimes I don't follow my own advice. :) So I'll think I'll take your suggestion and make some notes and then try a mini-outline, in addition to editing the parts that are bothering me.

Last edited:

yachtcaptcolby

Minstrel
Should I just go back to my other stronger POV character and go with him for the time being

I'd encourage you to try this option because I think there's a benefit beyond the simple fact that it will keep you moving forward. My first novel included several POV's, and I found that each character became stronger and less like the others when I focused on just one of them at a time.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I'd encourage you to try this option because I think there's a benefit beyond the simple fact that it will keep you moving forward. My first novel included several POV's, and I found that each character became stronger and less like the others when I focused on just one of them at a time.

Thanks for the feedback. That's good advice to just work on one POV character at a time. I'm going to try some jumping around and see how it works.

I went back and fixed things tonight so now I'm going to do a mini-outline to keep me on track from here on out, I hope. I'm almost 80K in, so this is something I really need to work through. I think I'm happy with the changes I made, so now I can move forward with more confidence.

bjza

Dreamer
Looks like you're on your way to solving this, but I wanted to add...
2. Delete what I've come up with, make a new mini-outline and follow that.
Some people say its a lack of editing in general, but I think what early drafts benefit from specifically is a lack of cutting. Unless what's written is beyond all hope, having more on the page will be useful at a latter date. Even if you're nearly certain something is a diversion or placeholder text.