• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Philip Overby's Fantasy-Free-For-All: All Fantasy, All the Time Blog!

What kind of content would you most like to see from a fantasy-related blog?

• Fantasy writing topics

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Fantasy books (reviews, news, etc)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Fantasy movies or TV

• Fantasy video games

• Fantasy short stories and novel excerpts (from me or others)

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Other topic not listed (Please comment)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, I like a healthy dose of alliteration. :)

So I just created this new blog and I was hoping to get some feedback about content from everyone. I want to make a blog about topics that not only I am interested about, but what those of you fellow fantasy lovers would like to read about. It doesn't necessarily have to be books or writing, but could be anything you'd like to read more about when you're making your internet rounds.

One thing I hope: I'm going to try to inject some humor into it. Humor is one those things that either works or doesn't. But if I can make a couple of people laugh or at least type "LOL" and squirt apple juice out their noses, then I'm happy.

What I want to know from everyone is this: what do you want to read about?

So far I have three blog posts:

1. What my goal with the blog is
2. Final Fantasy 15 thoughts
3. Pacific Rim thoughts

I don't technically call these reviews, but they could definitely be interpreted as such.

I'm also hoping to use this blog to talk about writing, books, movies, video games, TV, etc. I may even post some of my own stories from time to time or excerpts of novels I'm working on. I want to also get in the habit or reading other fantasy related blogs and take on guest bloggers if possible. I'm making a list and check it twice! Maybe you'll get some unicorn jerky in your stocking!

In any case, I've attached a poll here. If you can, just check a box for me (you can choose more than one if you like) and if you have any thoughts about what you look for in a fantasy-related blog, please share them below.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I don't play many games anymore, and I have trouble getting out to movies because I have to get a sitter. My reading list is also pretty long. For me, I would want tips for the good fantasy tidbits I can find online.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I have already visited your Fantasy Blog Phil, and as my first feedback I would say that it has a very good sense of humor =)

It's a great idea, you can bet that I will visit often and read your entries. I have voted for Fantasy short stories and Novel excerpts in your Poll, because it would be a good way to discover new stories and interesting Fantasy writers out there.

My other option to vote was Fantasy Movies and TV, because you can attract loads of attention with that and also add fun comments and good humor in the entries. Book reviews would be very good, as well.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Thanks for the feedback so far. I want to get a little taste of everything so people would be interested to see various fantasy related topics and not just one specific thing. It's interesting that I got multiple votes for short stories or novel excerpts so far. I didn't really expect that. I did hope to offer up blog post spots for other fantasy writers if they wanted to share some of their work. And I also want to share my own stuff as well at times.

I think fantasy writing topics may get a lot of views if I can find the right way to promote them. There are lots of blogs that offer general writing advice, but not too many that I'm aware of that talk primarily about fantasy.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
So I got 3 votes for writing topics and 4 for stories or novel excerpts. My first fantasy writing related topic is available on my blog now if anyone is interested.

I'm discussing my fantasy writing "rules." These aren't rules I think everyone should follow, but rules I use personally. If you can, come by and share your own thoughts about my rules and your own rules that work the best for you. Since this is Part 1 of 4, it's not a long post. And I talk about elves fighting were-tigers. :)

Philip Overby's Fantasy Free-for-All: Philip's Rules to Writing Eye-Popping Fantasy Part 1