• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sci fi blog post I found useful.

phillipsauthor

Minstrel
Agreed. And it's even trickier when you're trying to create a fantasy world - you have to not only establish the guidelines and stick to them, but also explain enough for people to understand how your world works, and not bore them to death. A fun challenge, though. Thanks for sharing!

ALB2012

Maester
Yes *magic cough cough* although even magic needs to be tackled cautiously.

There is a reason I don't write sci-fi :)

Typhon

Dreamer
Good article, iam writing in the Scifi/Modern world per se and that was very useful. Thank you

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
“Ha, ha, phone booth. I haven’t seen one of those in like 5 years.”
Odd...:p they are installing "Phone booths" in a new building at work so people have a more quiet/private place to hold conversations...
I do like the article, this just tickled me...

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Drawing information from the real world and applying it to fantastical or futuristic setting can add authenticity to the situation and make it more tangible and believable for the reader. Completely ignoring the laws of physics, group psychology, economics, or other concepts which a large portion of the readership intuitively understand can make the story unbelievable and hamper the audience’s suspension of disbelief.

I like to say that there is a difference between suspending disbelief and taking it bungee jumping. This article does an excellent job of expanding on that idea. Thanks for linking it!