• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The RETURN of NUMLOCK

Incanus

Auror
It turns out a story has been staring me right in the face for years and years-----

The star wizard NUMLOCK at long last made his way out of the dangerous zone of the galaxy known as BACKSPACE in his infamous ship the TILDE. He docked his vessel at the port, dismissed his crew, and got ready to ENTER the SPACEBAR.

He strolled down to the END of the bar, where the bartender was wiping down the countertop.

“Hey QWERTY,” he said. “Everything under CONTROL?”

“NUMLOCK?” asked the bartender. “When did you RETURN? I heard you were in BACKSPACE.”

“Why, just now. It’s good to be HOME again.”

“I’ll bet,” said QWERTY. “From what they tell me, it’s hard to get anything to FUNCTION properly there.”

NUMLOCK nodded. “It is difficult, but not impossible. You have to SHIFT a few things. But, hey, I’ve got something for you: I’d like for you to DELETE my TAB.”

QWERTY looked genuinely surprised. “Now why in the galaxy would I do that? Do you know how many COLONs you owe?”

“I think I remember, PLUS or MINUS a COLON or two. I’m afraid I have only a few SEMI-COLONs on me at the moment.”

QWERTY frowned. “You’ll hardly ESCAPE your debt with such a paltry amount.”

“I’ve got something far more valuable to you than a few COLONs. I know where SCROLLOCK and CAPSLOCK have been hiding all these years.”

“What? You do? I hope they’re not in BACKSPACE.”

At that very moment, two distant galaxies began to collide and converge, and the super black hole at the center of the larger one sent its quasar out in a new direction.

Thousands of stars and planets, and the SPACEBAR, all of which were in its path, disintegrated almost instantly.

Mad Swede

Auror
Does NUMLOCK need to follow the PAGE DOWN to the cellar? If there's wine down there it might be the best place to meet the END...

Incanus

Auror
Some interesting responses here--thanks.

ThinkerX--you really think so? Seems like it should have a better story structure, rather than the nonsensical ending it does. Something that ties it all together. Not sure how...

But, I see the seeds of some revision here:

It used to be Dvorak's SPACEBAR, but he (died, got lost in BACKSPACE, went insane) and now QWERTY runs the bar. NUMLOCK expects to find DVORAK, but finds QWERTY instead.

Nice idea for getting PAGE DOWN in there. I could use the same trick for PAGE UP as well.

It would be nice to include CTRL ALT DELETE in some way too. That's got to be the equivalent of a nuclear bomb or something.

I was following Shel Silverstein's advice: Put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.

Some interesting responses here--thanks.

ThinkerX--you really think so? Seems like it should have a better story structure, rather than the nonsensical ending it does. Something that ties it all together. Not sure how...

But, I see the seeds of some revision here:

It used to be Dvorak's SPACEBAR, but he (died, got lost in BACKSPACE, went insane) and now QWERTY runs the bar. NUMLOCK expects to find DVORAK, but finds QWERTY instead.

Nice idea for getting PAGE DOWN in there. I could use the same trick for PAGE UP as well.

It would be nice to include CTRL ALT DELETE in some way too. That's got to be the equivalent of a nuclear bomb or something.

I was following Shel Silverstein's advice: Put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.
CTRL ALT DELETE is really like more of a peak behind the curtain, like it would be a God or an Emperor or something

Incanus

Auror
CTRL ALT DELETE is really like more of a peak behind the curtain, like it would be a God or an Emperor or something
Or like the mulit-verse concept, each time C-A-D is activated, a new universe starts.

Or like Brahma opening and closing his eyes, creating new universes.

This concept is a tad too omniscient to pack into the story, I would think. Except--maybe the quasar at the end initiates a C-A-D?

Anyway--it was all just a little Friday fun last week.