• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Word processing apps for ipad?

Aello

Acolyte
Just curious if there's anything that's super outstanding to you guys. I spend alot of time out of the house writing, so I needed something lighter than my laptop to carry around. I have the case for it with the keyboard built in already.

I'm really hesitant about spending money on an app that might let me down when there's something cheaper/freer thats just as good. I thing itself was expensive enough and I've already got a couple of free apps to start with.

I've read the reviews in the Apple store and checked a few articles online already, but they were written by bloggers and the like mostly, so I'm just fishing for opinions from novel/story writers. :)

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I use "Docs to Go" if I'm writing on my iPad (which I rarely do). It keeps it in MS Word so the transition is easy.

Also, Dropbox is great for an iPad reading of what you've written before, on another device.

Jeff Xilon

Minstrel
For just straight up writing I really like iA Writer. It's a clean simple white page to type on. You can save your .txt files in the cloud. You can email your files through it. And you can send files from it to other apps on your iPad like Dropbox, Google Drive or Evernote.

Sometimes I export the scene I'm working on in Scrivener on my computer to a text file that I put in dropbox. Then I can open the file in Dropbox on the iPad and send it to iA Writer. Great for writing on the go or just on the couch.

At a price of $0.99 I can't recommend it enough.

Oh - I also like to use it when I'm struck by an idea I just want to freely write about for a short bit. Then I can drop it into an idea file folder in dropbox or email it to myself to go back to later.