• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Question on academic writing

I have searched all over for what this (») means in academic writing and I can't find diddly dooda. Can any of y'all get me to help. It is generally surrounding block quotes. To give a bit of background I am reviewing a law journal entry from a foreign professor and I see it popping up and have no idea if it is a fomatting thing, because I have sometimes seen word auto correct quotation marks into (»).

Butterfly

Auror
It could be the autoformat.

I've never seen it, but I think it more likely that it's a style thing and they are being used as parentheses (or brackets) to draw attention to the fact that what you are reading is a >>quote<< from another source. Kind of a way to distinguish the author's work from the quoted text.

(Edit: i just found something when looking at typography symbols ... Chinese punctuation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Could be Chinese Title Marks. Or Japanese Brackets / Quotation marks Japanese typographic symbols - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Last edited:

Pythagoras

Troubadour
I don't know about academic writing, but in a lot of German novels, those are often in place of quotation marks. Seems like some sort of foreign convention on quotations.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Well, it's only foreign if you aren't German. Or French, it's used there as well.

The symbol » has nothing in particular to do with academic writing. Can you tell us where you saw it? My guess it comes from a non-English publisher.