• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

50,000 word challenge for June - National Novel Writing Month

Fodwocket

Minstrel
For those not familiar with it, NaNoWriMo it is the National Novel Writing Month challenge, and it usually falls in November. The challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel in one month.

Because once a year isn't enough, we tried it again in March, and now we're going to try again in June. We aren't as strict as NaNo though. You can write about whatever you want - add to an existing story or write something completely new. The aim is simply to write the 50,000 words and get your creative juices flowing. With luck you'll be writing so fast that your inner critic won't be able to keep up, so they'll stay quiet.

The more people that take part, the more motivation we all have to keep going. Post your word count in your signature to keep us updated of your progress. And feel free to share what you'll be writing about if you like.

^_^

Kelise

Maester
Yay, June! I'm in :D

Maybe I'll actually get something done then. Fodwocket and I are actually going on holiday together then, to a writing convention :D We're then staying for an extra few days with writing as our only plan. We've got a hotel, we're going to lay down writing times, and we're going to have awesome snacks.

YAY for NaNo in June!

Kate

Troubadour
Very much looking forward to this. Hoping it'll give me the creative kick in the pants I'm sorely needing. I'll be aiming for 50k on my WIP, which should get it finished (if I keep writing a little everyday before June)

Kinda wish I was going on writing bootcamp like you lucky people - sounds like tremendous fun! Will have to improvise...

Who else is joining the June madness?

invisibleturtle

I'm definitely in! I need more NaNoWriMos, because after my first one in November it's gotten incredibly hard for me to write without a deadline to worry about.

I'm definitely in! I need more NaNoWriMos, because after my first one in November it's gotten incredibly hard for me to write without a deadline to worry about.

This. After I completed my 50,000-word novel in November, I just couldn't seem to put the pen to paper as well without the presence of a deadline. Sometimes I would just tell myself that I wanted to write a page before the end of the class period, but it didn't always work.

I'm going to try participating with this as well, though no promises as the months of May/June is when I'm graduating and whatnot. Alot of party planning to do and alot of parties to attend, not to mention the search for a full-time summer job before I'm off to college.

Kate

Troubadour
Glad to see a couple of others are joining in the fun. The more of us participating, the more fun (and more effective) it will be! :D

I've just given myself a May challenge as a bit of a warm up for our June adventures. 1000 words a day. Everyday. Might not seem like much but given my output of late struggles to hit 500 a day, it's going to take some getting used to. Anyone else care to join me for my 1000 Day May?

Cinnea

Dreamer
This. After I completed my 50,000-word novel in November, I just couldn't seem to put the pen to paper as well without the presence of a deadline.

Nice to see I'm not the only one with this problem. Or - perhaps not NICE, but... I think you understand what I mean.
Soooo ... since my first NaNo went fine this challenge might be just what I need. June might be trickier than November but I'll definetly give it a try.

Kate

Troubadour
I'll join in the 1000 Day May thing ^_^ Sounds like a really good idea.

Hey cool! Welcome to the fun :D

I've kept at it so far, so good. Good in that there are 1000 words a day. I decline to comment on their quality......
I'm updating my progress on Twitter through May, as well as on my new blog

I'll join in on the 1000 words a day thing. I really need to just get my novel idea written out. And I might do the june NaNo. Not sure yet.

M.A.N.

Scribe
I'm thinking of doing it. I've got tons of work to do, but as Chris Baty wrote in his book, sometimes that's the way to get stuff written: having lots of stuff to do all the time. As opposed to taking four weeks of vacation and having lots and lots of free time and not getting anything written at all.
I'll let you know.

Take care,
Magnus

Sezmo

Dreamer
I'd like to join the June one please. Not sure how I'll do since I move to Germany in just a few days but I'd still like to try.

Kelise

Maester
I certainly write a lot better when I'm busy. If I have too much free time, I find too many excuses. 'I'll write better after a nap,' - it's always that I'll write better AFTER... something.
When I don't have the time, it's like, well, I have to write now even though I haven't eaten/slept/showered... and I cram in 1,000 words in half an hour, and then I rush onwards. My best year of NaNo, I wrote 125,000 words in a month. ...Because I was in my final month of my Business Cert and was working full time as well.

I think being busy also puts you in that Working frame of mind, so it's easier to step into writing mode for a while each day.

Kate

Troubadour
With only a day and a bit to go, I'm beginning to wonder... why did I want to do this again? Oh that's right, it's fun! Maybe I shouldn't have just completely restructured my WIP into something weird and new and scary.

There's something new lurking over at Nanowrimo too, which sounds like it could be another version of this madness happening soon.

Fodwocket

Minstrel
I'm the same, I write so much better when I'm supposed to be doing something else. But trying to get into the habit of not needing that. 50/50 success so far.