• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Computer game mods

Jabrosky

Banned
Didn't think this would fit under my normal art thread, so let me show off a mod I just made for the game Total War: Rome 2:

historically_accurate_egyptians_for_rtw2_by_brandonspilcher-d7ejj6x.jpg

rtw2_egyptians_attack_by_brandonspilcher-d7ejpa2.jpg

Historically Accurate Egyptians
This modifies the costume of the Ptolemaic faction's native Egyptian soldiers so that they have less body armor, just like historical Egyptian soldiers as depicted in their own art. Now you get ancient Egyptian soldiers without that stuffy padded armor, perfect for fighting under the hot African sun.

(For comparison, this is what the game's Egyptian units originally looked like. On the other hand this is how historical Egyptian soldiers actually dressed).

If you've made any mods for computer games yourselves, feel free to show them off here too.

Last edited:

Rinzei

Troubadour
Your mod looks good! They look better that way.

I have modded in the past. I keep meaning to get back into it, but it's not happened so far. I had a lot more time on my hands back then.

My mods have been for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. All my mods can be found here, on the Nexus.

Highlights:

Crystal Staffs
15952-1-1205438457.jpg

Gem Staffs (a re-vamp of Crystal Staffs - better model and textures)
37290-1-1298583538.jpg

Sword of Unknown Origin
16337-1-1207083347.jpg

UFF Leather Corset Gown (a combination of various mod meshes [with permission] and retextured into 52 different colour combinations)
18544-1-1216351706.jpg

There are a couple others I made, but they're not anything special.

Telcontar

Staff
Nice work from both of you. I've always wished I possessed artistic talent of some kind, cuz I do a lot of game programming and constantly need to find other people to make my games look halfway decent.

Rinzei, that crystal staff especially fits really well into the game. I wish they'd been around back when I was playing Oblivion (or if they were, that I'd have heard about 'em!).

Rinzei

Troubadour
Thanks, Telcontar. :) I'd wish I'd been able to find a university near me that did a game art design course, to learn a lot more. But most of what was around me was community college courses, unaccredited or all programming. Now, I wouldn't even know where to start! Ah, c'est la vie.

Jabrosky

Banned
Nice work from both of you. I've always wished I possessed artistic talent of some kind, cuz I do a lot of game programming and constantly need to find other people to make my games look halfway decent.
Thank you, but it didn't really require that much artistic skill to make my mod. All it really took was fiddling with certain game files to swap certain pre-made textures and models around.