• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Marketing guidelines - Blog Post

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I've only glanced at the article and will look at it more closely in a bit.

But in general, your target audience may share characteristics about when they're likely to be available to look at your content and what kind of content they will be interested in at different times. If you can pinpoint the time people are most interested in your content, you should target your posts to those times.

I remember, in class, this was called aperture, but I've been unable to pin this term to this meaning elsewhere.

((edit))

Now that I've read the article a little more closely, there's only a little to add. There's two things in play: audience and content.

For instance, your typical office worker will tend to read work-related stuff on Monday morning, but won't care about it later in the week as the work load picks up. By Friday they'll want their minds off work, so they'll be interested in lighter stuff or hobby stuff. So if you're writing work skill stuff for people in the office, you'll want to promote your stuff Monday morning. But if you're posting office humor, you would want to post closer to Friday.

The easiest thing to do is to post on different days for a few weeks and figure out when people are reading your blog most. But it's better to understand who wants what, especially if you want to post more than once a week, so you can tailor your posts to what people want at any given moment.

If you're appealing to writers, I suspect the audience is a little more cross-spectrum in this regard, just based on the people around Mythic Scribes. Writing is a hobby, so you probably get a lot of workers who write in the evenings/weekends, and anyone with enough time on their hands like students or at-home parents.

To me, that suggests you'd want a big writing post on Fridays or Mondays, with smaller community-building posts during the work week because some people are still available.

Last edited:

ALB2012

Maester
Of course you have to take time zones into account. I can post something from the UK at 8pm but it won't be 8pm everywhere. It could be 3 am, and won't get much traffic. Not that there is much to be done about it. For my own part when I am looking on facebook I only usually scroll to the bottom of the page unless it is something I am actually following.

I guess this is why a multitude of marketing strategies is good.