• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Extra Content Questions and Ideas

Hi guys,

I've been working on the second edition of my first book for a while now. Not much in the way of content changes--I've edited I don't know how many times before it was originally released and did one last edit a few months ago and already republished that. Mainly, I want to include extras for the readers/fans that are easily available for the ebook format as well as a long awaited new cover.

I am planning on including the following:
Front Content:
Maps (a world map and 2-3 regional maps)​

Back Content:
Character Profiles
Monster Profiles
Possibly: D&D d20 stats for characters/monsters
More information on history/legends

Anyway, my questions are the following:
  1. Anyone have any ideas on other content you might want to see in a fantasy novel outside of the story that I should think about including?
  2. Would unprofessional content (for instance, sketches--be they maps, characters or creatures) be a turn-off? Or does the very nature of being extra content make it acceptable?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
The idea of d20 stats for the characters and creatures in a fantasy book strikes me as odd, unless the book is somehow related to D&D or similar RPGs. I don't think character profiles are really necessary, since the reader would already know a lot about your character simply through the book itself. Maps are fine, and a genealogy could be interesting.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
It is fairly common for Graphic Novels to include character sketches and alternative character designs. They can give a very different "what-if"perspective...
If you were to included gaming stats you might as well go the extra mile and work them out for GURPS, Warhammer etc as well. but I agree that I wouldn't expect to see them unless there was an obvious tie-in.
I can't remember the Sci-fi book's title but at the end of one there were "adverts" for places written about in the story [there was a hotel, Robot repair centre and a gun dealership that I can remember]. It was a fun way to do a little bit of infodumping as well as filling out the world...

Last edited:

Butterfly

Auror
I agree totally with Ireth.

As an extra I think you should consider an excerpt from your next novel, perhaps the first chapter or something. Create some hype about it.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
You could put your bestiary and d20 stats online, but I wouldn't in the book. You should include things that help the story make sense, not things that are superficial.

((edit))

Thinking about it a little more, I could see a bestiary working at the back of some stories, and even the d20 stats in some circumstances. So let me say probably shouldn't, unless it's somehow right for what you're doing.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I see that many people objected to the d20 stats which is interesting. I've only seen this in one "book", a manga by Richard A. Knaak I think...

I was considering those because my own RPG system hasn't gotten out of the alpha stage, but I think I will just include the stats that would be done in my own RPG (one of the nice things about an ebook is that I can always change it).

I've also decided to include the generals/leaders of each army in one of the wars in the book along with the basic unit types of their army as one of the extras.

The idea of d20 stats for the characters and creatures in a fantasy book strikes me as odd, unless the book is somehow related to D&D or similar RPGs. I don't think character profiles are really necessary, since the reader would already know a lot about your character simply through the book itself. Maps are fine, and a genealogy could be interesting.
You don't think they're necessary, but would you object to seeing them? I read a lot of manga and they always include things like blood type, birthday, height/weight, likes/dislikes, etc.

I hadn't thought about a genealogy. That doesn't really fit as much with my first book, although there is potential to include stuff like that in other novels planned.

It is fairly common for Graphic Novels to include character sketches and alternative character designs. They can give a very different "what-if"perspective...
If you were to included gaming stats you might as well go the extra mile and work them out for GURPS, Warhammer etc as well. but I agree that I wouldn't expect to see them unless there was an obvious tie-in.
I can't remember the Sci-fi book's title but at the end of one there were "adverts" for places written about in the story [there was a hotel, Robot repair centre and a gun dealership that I can remember]. It was a fun way to do a little bit of infodumping as well as filling out the world...
I hadn't thought about including the alternate sketches! I usually throw those in a drawer that must never be opened...thanks!

The adverts is a cool idea too. I only have one bona fide store, but maybe something like a travel brochure. Thanks again!
I agree totally with Ireth.

As an extra I think you should consider an excerpt from your next novel, perhaps the first chapter or something. Create some hype about it.
Thanks for the idea. I see that a lot nowadays too, I'm surprised it slipped my notice. I could probably get away with including some of CH 1 from book 2, or maybe some of the prologue. I'll have to consider the whole spoiler-ness of it all though.

Thinking about it a little more, I could see a bestiary working at the back of some stories, and even the d20 stats in some circumstances. So let me say probably shouldn't, unless it's somehow right for what you're doing.
Thanks. I think yins have all collectively convinced me to not do the d20 stats--instead I'll include my own version. For the bestiary, my book is very action-y (it could probably be directly translated into a video game without really needing to add anything...although I have notes about stuff that happens between scenes or that was glossed over where more monsters could be attacking...so I feel that it makes sense to include the highlights--nothing like what might be seen in a monster manual for D&D, but probably a sketch of the creature and some quick easily digestible facts)

you could put a picture of a fight
That's not a bad idea. Like an art-picture or a troops/tactics picture?

A short story or history as an adendum?
Those are good ideas too. I don't need to do a hardcore history, but there are some things in the book that I've barely scratched the surface of that people might be interested in that I can include at the end as well.

Thanks everyone!

soulless

Troubadour
I always love a map in a fantasy or sci-fi book. An short story would be nice too, or a "deleted scene" if you have anything like that, and the alternate sketches idea is also awesome.

Stupid question, maybe, but would putting d20 stats in a published work be a violation of the copyright of whoever owns the d20 system?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Stupid question, maybe, but would putting d20 stats in a published work be a violation of the copyright of whoever owns the d20 system?

You'd have to ask Steerpike, but it's my understanding that the d20 system is open that way. d20 is the core system that D&D is built on, and they've produced copies of that core system which independent game companies have used to build their own games. So a d20 monster could be used in a lot of different RPG games by a lot of different companies.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Zero,

Your question seemed to imply that maps as an add-on may be objectionable to some. I think the opposite is true; some see the lack of maps as objectionable.

You're creating a world from scratch. Providing a map is almost mandatory for epic fantasy.

I think that some people would also find sketches to be a value add.

As far as the RPG stuff goes, how are you marketing your book? If it's as part of an RPG, then including stuff for it is good. If it's not part of an RPG, my opinion is that you shouldn't. I'm not sure how many other people feel as I do, but I tend to "look down" on books based on RPGs if I'm looking for epic fantasy.

WyrdMystic

Inkling
Zero,

Your question seemed to imply that maps as an add-on may be objectionable to some. I think the opposite is true; some see the lack of maps as objectionable.

You're creating a world from scratch. Providing a map is almost mandatory for epic fantasy.

I think that some people would also find sketches to be a value add.

As far as the RPG stuff goes, how are you marketing your book? If it's as part of an RPG, then including stuff for it is good. If it's not part of an RPG, my opinion is that you shouldn't. I'm not sure how many other people feel as I do, but I tend to "look down" on books based on RPGs if I'm looking for epic fantasy.

This is a matter of preference. Some people expect maps, some people like not to see maps. The fact that maps are expected is kind of irrelevant, its whether you want to use one or not.

To illustrate, maps to me are like prologues to other people...I skip past them. I'm reading a book not watching a movie. All I want is enough information to spark my imagination. However, if its an RPG then maps are really helpful.

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
This is a matter of preference. Some people expect maps, some people like not to see maps. The fact that maps are expected is kind of irrelevant, its whether you want to use one or not.

I have a hard time believing that anyone dislikes seeing a map. I agree that a lot of people skip over them; I do myself most of the time. I do not, however, ever think, "Wow, I wish that author hadn't included this information."

For the second part of your statement: You're saying that what a good portion of what your customers expect is irrelevent? That's not exactly a good way to win over those customers.

WyrdMystic

Inkling
I have a hard time believing that anyone dislikes seeing a map. I agree that a lot of people skip over them; I do myself most of the time. I do not, however, ever think, "Wow, I wish that author hadn't included this information."

For the second part of your statement: You're saying that what a good portion of what your customers expect is irrelevent? That's not exactly a good way to win over those customers.

On the first part, okay, my wording was off, but just because someone doesn't think 'I wish they hadn't included a map' doesn't mean that they don't dislike maps and there are people who dislike maps.

I've posted another thread to explore maps but there is a huge difference between expecting to see something and wanting to see something. What people expect is irrelevant. What they want is most definitely not. In fact, you will probably win over more people by doing the unexpected as the expected has already been done to death - expected is boring, dull, dreary, repetative etc. Expected is customer service - Surprise is art.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I've posted another thread to explore maps but there is a huge difference between expecting to see something and wanting to see something. What people expect is irrelevant. What they want is most definitely not. In fact, you will probably win over more people by doing the unexpected as the expected has already been done to death - expected is boring, dull, dreary, repetative etc. Expected is customer service - Surprise is art.

I responded to your other thread, but, this part, really?

First of all, I'm not trying to create art. I have no desire to create art. I want to tell a compelling story.

Are you serious about winning more people over with the unexpected in this context? When I go into a store, I expect the clerk to tell me "Thank you for your purchase." When they fail to do so, I don't think, "Wow, how refreshing was it that this store doesn't provide me with the expected customer service. Let me shop here as much as possible."

Sorry, but not providing an expected service is not likely to win over anyone.

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
On the first part, okay, my wording was off, but just because someone doesn't think 'I wish they hadn't included a map' doesn't mean that they don't dislike maps and there are people who dislike maps.

And the problem with this is - what, exactly? There are people who dislike maps and there are people who dislike not having a map. You can't please both. If you miss it out, you force everyone to read the book without it. If you put it in, you thrill those who like them and the rest can skip over it.

There are a few cases where the map would give away something vital, but otherwise I can't see any downside to putting one in. At the very least, the author's back-of-the-envelope sketch can be put up on the website. Please? So that the directionally challenged amongst us can see how Our Heroes got from the Enchanted Forest to the Chasm of Darkness.

WyrdMystic

Inkling
I responded to your other thread, but, this part, really?

First of all, I'm not trying to create art. I have no desire to create art. I want to tell a compelling story.

Are you serious about winning more people over with the unexpected in this context? When I go into a store, I expect the clerk to tell me "Thank you for your purchase." When they fail to do so, I don't think, "Wow, how refreshing was it that this store doesn't provide me with the expected customer service. Let me shop here as much as possible."

Sorry, but not providing an expected service is not likely to win over anyone.

I suppose that's the difference. I'm not looking to provide a service. I'm looking to write a story - as in 'the art of storytelling'. Whether people want to read it or not - that's their choice. but yes, the unexpected generally gets more than the expected these days. Likening a map to customer service didn't work for either of us :D

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I suppose that's the difference. I'm not looking to provide a service. I'm looking to write a story - as in 'the art of storytelling'. Whether people want to read it or not - that's their choice. but yes, the unexpected generally gets more than the expected these days. Likening a map to customer service didn't work for either of us :D

It disagree. I think it fit my point well.

There's no need to consider storytelling an "art," and I do want to provide excellent customer service. If people are going to pay money for my books, I want to do my darndest to make sure they're satisfied. I want them to find my writing engaging and hard to put down; I want them to respond emotionally to the text; and I want them to have their expectations met. Obviously, saying what I want is harder than doing it, but I think I should at least try.

Personally, I hate the attitude: I'm producing art. Take it or leave it.

Now, it's a different story entirely if you're not selling your work. If you are, I think you have some degree of responsibility to the people who are paying their hard earned money for what you produced.

I also understand that you can never please everyone. If, however, there is a reasonable expectation of a service, I think you should at least try.

Maybe this is just me, though. I also see a lot of "authors" putting complete drivel out there on Amazon and asking people to pay money for it when it hasn't been edited and the quality is crap. I just couldn't stomach doing such a thing.

Last edited: