Read Reviews on Amazon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crucifixion & Execution

Crucifixion & Execution

Are the religious connotations of crucifixion too strong to use the method for cruel execution? Is there any way to modify the method to have a similar effect but not have the connotation?

What other "public display" executions are there, particularly drawn-out painful ones, that aren't just lopping off someone's head?

Have it not be a cross. Even though I'm pretty sure that's why it's called a crucifix.
    http://voidrealm.blogspot.com/
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

Quote Originally Posted by Centerfield97 View Post
    Are the religious connotations of crucifixion too strong to use the method for cruel execution?
    Er, I highly doubt any Christian is actually going to argue that crucifixion isn't a method for cruel execution. That was sort of the whole point.

Besides, if Conan the Barbarian got away with it in 1982, I don't see why you couldn't get away with it today.

That said, the less symbolically charged alternative would be Vlad Dracula-style impalement, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanados View Post
    Have it not be a cross. Even though I'm pretty sure that's why it's called a crucifix.
    Oh, you can crucify people any number of ways. The Romans sometimes did it crux simplex, with just a straight vertical beam. Other times the cross would be shaped like a T, Y or X. Really, the important thing is that the victim is nailed to something.
    Last edited by Anders Ämting; 2-28-12 at 2:37 PM.
    "Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Ämting View Post
    Really, the important thing is that the victim is nailed to something.
    Nailing is not necessary, binding is enough. Just be sure the victim can't break loose.
    If you have the variation of cross where the victim stands on something, a cage would have a very similar effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Nailing is not necessary, binding is enough. Just be sure the victim can't break loose.
    Very well, I amend my statement: Really, the important thing is that the victim is affixed to something.

If you have the variation of cross where the victim stands on something, a cage would have a very similar effect.
    I believe putting your victim in a cage is refered to as gibbeting, though, not crucifixion.
    "Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Nails, ropes, staples, strong glue. Whatever said evil government has lying around...

As mentioned above, if you want to avoid the religious connotations an 'X' pattern was often used.
    Blog: Rant, Ramble, and Rave | My Stuff on Amazon | My Stuff on Smashwords
    "They sing of Grief. They call him an old king who ruled over men's hearts before we rose up from barbarity, and he was usurped by Joy."

Another pleasant way to go is to be drawn and quartered. Can't say it's too 'drawn out', but the fellow's definitely gonna feel it (just ask William wallace). It was usually performed in public with a horse tethered to each limb and set agallop.

There's also gibbets, where the individual was hung in a cage and left to die of thirst.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Ämting View Post
    I believe putting your victim in a cage is refered to as gibbeting, though, not crucifixion.
    Right. I meant the effect, not the method.
    Crucifixion can be done mainly in two variations: with and without a support to stand on. Without the support, only hanging from the arms the victim will most probably suffocate because breathing becomes increasingly hard in that position.
    With a support breathing is no problem. The victim will in most cases die from overheat in the sun or hypothermia, depending on the current climate. If the climate has an ideal temperature all day and night the victim may die of thirst. The same effect as in a cage, just a different method of restraint.

Portfolio Entries
    I thought of starting a thread on executions but thought maybe it was to gruesome.

Impaling; Not to quick. Not sure how long before the person dies.
    Pressed: person restrained while rocks placed on person until they can't breathe anymore.

Quick but gruesome; burned as a steak...I mean burned at the stake.

Not sure what it was called, but chaining someone to the seaside rocks in low tide, where high tide will drown the condemned.

Any of the torture devices used until the victim dies.

Sealing a person in a room, much like gibbeting but no one to hear the screams/moans.
    I believe indians tied people to anthills, could be legend, but still seems very painful and effective.
    In hot sunny terrain, tying someone exposed(little clothing if any) to the sun.

People have thought of many ways to kill slowly.
    But you'll always follow the voices beneath, Loyalty, loyalty, loyalty, only to me!
    The only thing I remember bout grammar is she baked me cookies.
    http://severinr.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SeverinR View Post
    Pressed: person restrained while rocks placed on person until they can't breathe anymore.
    I don't think this was intended as a method of execution itself, although people did die from it - it was actually a form of torture used to extract a confession - you've heard of the expression 'to be pressed for an answer / i must press you for an answer'?

Being 'blown from the guns'- tied to the muzzle of a cannon and, well, blown apart. Quick but messy - used by the British to execute rebellious Sepoys after the Indian Mutiny - contrary to popular belief, this wasn't a punishment thought up by the British as a graphic deterrent, but actually a concession to the Indians - it was a traditional Hindu punishment for mutiny.

While we're on the subject of the Indian Sub-Continent, and contradicting my initial response to SeverinR - being crushed by elephants.

Having an iron nail driven through the top of the skull - some evidence of this method being used in India, and also accounts of Vlad the Impaler nailing Turkish envoys turbans to their heads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast