• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Whacky Narrator

Addison

Auror
I recently got an idea for a new WIP. An epic fantasy following a party of adventurers. Not sure what the adventure and plot is yet. But what's stuck with me is the narrative I've chosen. Which brings my question; Has anyone read a story told in the third person but the characters were aware of the narrator?

Like "Stranger than Fiction", the movie with Will Ferrell, he's living his life and hears an author's voice narrating his life and he starts shouting.

That's how I see my story working out. Granted the characters will hate me from beginning to end, and their reactions to me will supply some of the comedy.

So it will go like:
"Me writing narrative third person
here,
here,
more here with a little dialogue then,"

Characters look around, share "WTF" looks.
They wonder if they all heard it.
One character hops on one foot.
A non-believer is about to drink partner's ale when

"I come back and narrate"

They spin around as thief chokes and splutters.

Could something like that work or do I need to find a different narrator?

Short answer yes I like the idea.

Long answer, honestly while I have seen characters break the forth wall and some be aware of the narrator in movies and TV shows. I have yet off the top of my head to read a book like that. And if I did I don't currently remember it. For it to work I don't think the story, whatever it ends up being can take itself too seriously. Since having at least one scene where a character tells the narrator to basically shut up is a must. Especially if they then get into an argument with each other. I mean think about it if they all know and continually hear the voice in the sky they are not going to ignore it forever are they. Better still if it adds tension to the story in some way.

So a dark comedy based on a fantasy adventure maybe? I could be being completely stupid about this of course. But it is just an idea. And I would love to read a story with a narrator like that purely because I don't think I have before.:)

Edit: so yes to answer your original question it could work. But you wont know for sure until the first few chapters are done.

Last edited:

Pythagoras

Troubadour
If I were writing this story, I wouldn't make the narrator a voice from above, but rather an obnoxious member of the party who thinks he is some sort of omniscient voice from above. This way, the narrator is just another character with whom the others can easily interact, as well as the narrator of the story. The narrator would have an active impact on the course of events. Of course, you would have to come up with both a reason for his constant narrations and, perhaps more difficult, why the rest of the party keeps him around. But the possibilities are endless. For example, the narrator doesn't think he is vulnerable to the raiding bandits that just attacked the adventurers, because to him, he's writing it. He must be saved by the other members, which leads to tension. Maybe the reader is left to wonder why on earth they don't just leave the babbling buffoon on the side of the road, until the big reveal when the narrator turns out to be some kind of delusional basket case that just so happens to hold the key to... whatever you please. I don't know. Something to consider, though, if you're going for the unconventional.

Hi,

My take would be to do the movie idea with the narrator only being a voice in one character's head. That way they can have dialogue together and the others can stare at the MC. To add to that the narrator could say what he really thinks about the party and especially the MC.

And no I can't remember reading a book like that. However I am writing one a little bit similar where my MC has a bunch of ancient Greek gods in his head.

Cheers, Greg.